• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC and Code Check books

ICE

Oh Well
I know that the ICC sells the books so I figure they may have a hand in it.

The Code Check Complete 2ND Edition has this illustration.

That matches what the code says too.

R311.7.4.1Riser height. The maximum riser height shall be 73/4 inches (196 mm). The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges of the adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm).
It never occurred to me that it's not "7 3/4"rise" until I saw this. Another new concept is the nosing exception if the tread is 11" and solid riser. The solid riser requirement is not in the code.

By the look of the shoe, this has been in the code since BF stood for Benjamen Franklin.

Last edited by a moderator:
jar546 said:
What do you mean it is not a 7-3/4" rise?
The drawing shows the riser, not the rise. The riser in the drawing is 7 3/4" but the rise (the step up) is 7 3/4" plus whatever the thickness of the tread material may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the intent of the drawing was to have a dotted line at the top of the tread and they did not want to extend the arrow into the darker tread drawing.