• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC Final Action Hearings

Bryan Holland

Silver Member
Hello,

I have been presented an opportunity to attend one of the ICC Final Action Hearings this year. (Dallas or Charlotte)

I have never been to one of these hearings so am curious about the event.

Has anyone here been to one? Is it worth the trip and cost? Any suggestions either way would be greast.

THANKS!

As a reminder, I started 2 separate calendars for everyone's use and one of them is for training. If you are aware of a training event, please post it on the calendar. If you are aware of other industry relevant events such as the hearings, please post in that calendar.

Bryan, I've been attending the ICC hearings since there was an ICC and BOCA's and SBCCI's before that. If you want to get a better idea about how the sausage is made, it's a great experience.

Which one of the two you attend would be based more on what codes peak your interest the most. If you go, be sure to attend the first-timers meeting to get an idea about what to expect, go on the day trip event if you can, and sample the local cuisine. If you decide that you're going to Dallas, look me up. I'll be there from the 16th through the 18th

Bryan, Been to many over the years. with the "new" split hearings it depends on what you want to do. Send me a private email and I'll email you my office phone number and we can talk.

Bryan, Dallas is strictly code hearings and Charlotte will have the Annual Business Meeting and a bunch of other activities in addition to code hearings that you can attend. It's a good opportunity to actually see how the codes are developed and meet a lot of people.

Gene, good to hear that you'll be in Dallas. I'll be there the 15th through the 18th.

Just a note. The code hearing will be held in Dallas every two years from here on.

Let me know if you guys are going to try to get together on a certain day for lunch and I'll try to make it over to Big D. I'm about 50 miles away!

Oh on the meeting....very interesting to see how it actually works...but sometimes it's like watching paint dry!

Mule, PM me and I'll give you my cell phone numbers. I'm sure Gene would be up to lunch somewhere.

Thanks for the advice. I have been awarded a Code of Honor Scholarship from the ICC Foundation to pay for most of trip, but it doesn't cover daily expenses such as food and drink nor will it pay my salary for the week.

I need to make my decision by Monday afternoon, so will notify you if I will be going.

Bryan, I hope you decide to go. It is an experience for sure. Congrats on being awarded Code of Honor Scholarship. Which award did you receive Emerging Leader, Veteran Leader, Future Leader, International or Small Town? Either one would suit you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I receievd one also, the Veteran Scholarship. I think it was just a nice way of saying "senior" since I am 56.