• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ice sheild removal?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Were on the 2006 I-codes and we do not require the ice sheild (exempted) but the surrounding county does. My question is, when the roof requires a tear-off down to the sheeting, how hard is it to remove the ice sheild to get to the sheeting or in most cases would your AJH allowed it to remain for the re-roof.

Pc1

If the Ice shield was applied correctly you'd have to tear up the sheathing to remove the ice shield. I can't imagine any reason why it'd have to be removed unless you wanted to check the nailing and then it'd still be easier to just renail it.

Bill

IRC 2012 has added this to R907.3;

4. Where the existing roof assembly includes an ice barrier membrane that is adhered to the roof deck, the existing ice barrier membrane shall be permitted to remain in place and covered with an additional layer of ice barrier membrane in accordance with Section R905.

KZ,

2006 IRC, R907.3 New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing existing roof coverings where any of the following conditions occur:

#4 subject to moderate or severe hail exposure according to R903.5. The case here.

So it looks like the ice sheild would have to be removed, incurring more cost to the homeowner. Just wondering how hard it is to remove and if the contractor will be adding to the overall invoice?

Thanks for your responce

pc1

Aren't the shingles the covering? The ice shield is just an underlayment.

I think the requirement to remove roof coverings in an area subject to hail is to provide a smooth surface under the shingles. The ice shield has a smooth surface, so there should be no need to remove it as long as the rubberized asphalt hasn't deteriorated.

You may have something there Paul, felt paper is not the roof covering the shingle is! So a roofer with pitch fork in hand removes all the felt and shingle but when he gets to the ice barrier it does'nt quite come off as easy, so would you allow it to remain?

See mj's responce, the 2012 code addresses this issue.

pc1

I would absolutely allow it to remain (regardless of Code year). It's only a few mils thick, and trying to remove it causes more trouble than it's worth.