• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Identification of All Spaces

globe trekker

QUESTION: Is it ' required ' to identify every space / area / room on the

submitted construction plans?

I have a Commercial "build-out" of an existing tenant space and the RDP

did not identify every room / space.

Code sections please, or would this fall under a state level RDP

association requirement. Thanks ya'll!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
2006 IBC

106.1.2 Means of egress.

The construction documents shall show in sufficient detail the location, construction, size and character of all portions of the means of egress in compliance with the provisions of this code. In other than occupancies in Groups R-2, R-3, and I-1, the construction documents shall designate the number of occupants to be accommodated on every floor, and in all rooms and spaces.

You can't figure OL for a room or space without an identified use.

Ypo

The Record Design Professional should list an occupancy classification for the project somewhere on the plans. Not just "commercial" - - but "B" occupancy or "M" occupancy, etc., plus occupant load classification per mtlogcabin.

If the rooms / spaces are not individually labeled, then the occupancy + occupant load classification shown on the plans and permit is what governs as a default for every room.

If the building has mixed occupancies then either everything needs to be labeled, or else there needs to be a note that states the default (e.g., "all rooms and spaces are 'B' occupancy unless noted otherwise".)

As a courtesy I would remind the RDP during plan check that if accessory spaces are not clearly labeled and plan checked as such, they can NOT be permitted for any incidental accessory use that requires a separation (Table 508.2.5), e.g. storage rooms, boiler rooms, etc.

I agree, but I can also look at the floor plan and say this is a kitchen or a bathroom.. and the people using this/these space(s) are already in the space. I think you're picking nits at that point.

Some more info for ya'll.

The project is a remodel on an existing tenant space ( an A-3, approx. 6,300+

sq. ft. ). The RDP submitted plans and has identified all spaces except,

the men's & women's water closet rooms. One each of these rooms is ADA

compliant and directly across a non-designated area from the locker rooms.

4 total water closet rooms. These water closet rooms have a lavatory and

a water closet and that's it. Again, ALL other rooms / space HAVE been labeled /

identified on the plans. These rooms have individual locking doors on each of

them.

Yikes,

I do not have the luxury of reminding the RDP about anything. This one is

on a "fast trak approval mode", if you catch my drift! :-(

peach,

If all of the other rooms in this entire project are identified, then I'm thinking

that the 4 individual WC rooms should be identified as well ( i.e. - Room

# 105, or Room # 106, etc. ). Since these are non-habitable rooms, no OL

is required. I DO tend to "pick nits", especially if a RDP submits something.

It is my intention to have the RDP provide as much code compliant information

as possible, ...especially since the customer is paying for it.

I'm going to list the code section from the `06 IBC that mtlogcabin referenced

in my comment letter and see what flies.

Thanks a bunch ya'll!

106.1.1, 2006 IBC, Information on Construction Documents. " Construction documents shall... show in detail that it will conform to the provisions of this code..." If the spaces aren't identified, compliance cannot be verified, and the construction documents do not comply with this section.

Ya, I just read the update. Globe Trekker: seems a little unreasonable to me.

To all:

I have been unclear in my question and subsequent discussion. I apologize for

my "unclearness".

I am looking to have the RDP assign a room number to these 4 water closet rooms.

They assigned a room number to all other spaces / rooms in this project, EXCEPT

these 4 water closet rooms. Yes, I know that the 4 rooms will be used as toilet

rooms, ...that's not my question. Maybe it's just me, but I think that if the RDP

made the effort to assign room numbers to all other rooms / spaces in this project,

that they should have been consistent and assigned room numbers to these 4 water

closet rooms. Some of the details on these WC rooms; on the project plans,

need to be specifically addressed in my comment letter back to the RDP, hence,

my reason for this question. Plus, it helps me to know more about the codes,

...to obtain some different viewpoints and I like the banter as well. :D

Globe Trekker, I would respectfully say that you're entirely out of line. You have no IBC support for what you're doing, and your own management would cringe if they caught wind of such a frivolous requirement. Please, move on to the next project.

Identification with a room number may be helpful in orienting people to the plans out in the field, but it gives you zero code compliance information. Therefore, I don't think you can enforce the issue.

Some of the details on these WC rooms; on the project plans, need to be specifically addressed in my comment letter back to the RDP, hence, my reason for this question.
I think you are streching this one to require a room number.

So address all the WC rooms together under one comment and let the DP figure it out. When he calls for clarification just ask him to assign a number to each WC room.

Or you could identify them by grid line location or some other means.

It may have just been on oversite on his end