• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IEBC Performance Method

Yankee Chronicler

We have a permit application for alterations and change of use to a relatively small portion of an existing mill building that's well over 100 years old. The applicant's architect has elected to use the Performance Method, and the construction documents include a score sheet following the format of IEBC 2021 Table 1301.7.

That's all they have provided. I haven't seen anyone use this method for at least 15 years, probably longer. I have a fuzzy recollection that the code requires (or used to require) that the score sheet be supported by a narrative explanation of how they arrived at their scores. I've just read through Chapter 13 and, if that requirement is there, I missed it. Does anyone know if the IEBC requires a narrative explanation of the scores to supplement the summary score sheet? If so, where can I find the requirement?

If the code doesn't explicitly require an explanatory narrative, is there a code provision I can use to call for them to submit a narrative to justify and explain their point scores?

Thanks.

2021 IEBC

1301.4 Investigation and Evaluation

For proposed work covered by this chapter, the building owner shall cause the existing building to be investigated and evaluated in accordance with the provisions of Sections 1301.4 through 1301.9.

[BS] 1301.4.1 Structural Analysis

The owner shall have a structural analysis of the existing building made to determine adequacy of structural systems for the proposed alteration, addition or change of occupancy. The analysis shall demonstrate that the building with the work completed is capable of resisting the loads specified in Chapter 16 of the International Building Code.

1301.4.2 Submittal

The results of the investigation and evaluation as required in Section 1301.4, along with proposed compliance alternatives, shall be submitted to the code official.

1301.4.3 Determination of Compliance

The code official shall determine whether the existing building, with the proposed addition, alteration or change of occupancy, complies with the provisions of this section in accordance with the evaluation process in Sections 1301.5 through 1301.9.

2021 IEBC

1301.4 Investigation and Evaluation

For proposed work covered by this chapter, the building owner shall cause the existing building to be investigated and evaluated in accordance with the provisions of Sections 1301.4 through 1301.9.

[BS] 1301.4.1 Structural Analysis

The owner shall have a structural analysis of the existing building made to determine adequacy of structural systems for the proposed alteration, addition or change of occupancy. The analysis shall demonstrate that the building with the work completed is capable of resisting the loads specified in Chapter 16 of the International Building Code.

1301.4.2 Submittal

The results of the investigation and evaluation as required in Section 1301.4, along with proposed compliance alternatives, shall be submitted to the code official.

1301.4.3 Determination of Compliance

The code official shall determine whether the existing building, with the proposed addition, alteration or change of occupancy, complies with the provisions of this section in accordance with the evaluation process in Sections 1301.5 through 1301.9.
Note that in 1301.4.2 it says that both the investigation and evaluation be submitted to the code official. It sounds like they are only providing the evaluation as outlined in 1301.6. What I believe you are asking for is the documentation from the investigation, which would likely be in a narrative type format wherein the investigator would describe the process and observations of the investigation.

Note that in 1301.4.2 it says that both the investigation and evaluation be submitted to the code official. It sounds like they are only providing the evaluation as outlined in 1301.6. What I believe you are asking for is the documentation from the investigation, which would likely be in a narrative type format wherein the investigator would describe the process and observations of the investigation.

I believe this is what I was looking for. Thank you, Gentlemen.