• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Iebc q.

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I have an existing single family house that will get a total re-wire. The city has adopted the 2006 IEBC, while trying to determine what the electrical contractor is required to do I notice there is not much reference to the IRC. We do not use the ICC Electrical code, we have adopted the 2005NEC.

Under section 602.3 the IRC is not listed. Not sure what I can enforce here?

Should I be using the IEBC or the IRC?

pc1

708.3 Residential occupancies.

JMHO

Use the IEBC to define the scope of work required and your adopted electrical code for the electrical changes

In Group R-2, R-3, and R-4 occupancies and buildings regulated by the International Residential Code , the requirements of Sections 708.3.1 through 708.3.7 shall be applicable only to work areas located within a dwelling unit.

1004.1 Smoke alarms in existing portions of a building.

Whenever an addition is made to a building or structure of a Group R-3 or R-4 occupancy, the existing building shall be provided with smoke alarms as required by the International Building Code or International Residential Code as applicable.

Check your EBC sec. 101 "Scope".

The NYS EBC has an exception for one and two family dwellings, sending us to the Res code.