• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IEBC scoping

Kevin

Does anyone know if IBC can be used in lieu of IEBC for an existing building and if so, where is the specific language? I'm working with the 2015 codes.

From 2015 IEBC below:

101.2 Scope

The provisions of the International Existing Building Code shall apply to the repair, alteration, change of occupancy, addition to and relocation of existing buildings.

Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply with this code or the International Residential Code.

The bolded section allows the choice to the architect for residential structures that are applicable, but I've only seen similar language in commentaries for the IEBC compliance method.

I don't have access to the 2015 edition

2018 IBC

[A] 101.1 Title.
These regulations shall be known as the Building Code of [NAME OF JURISDICTION], hereinafter referred to as “this code.”

[A] 101.2 Scope.
The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, relocation, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures.

Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress, and their accessory structures not more than three stories above grade plane in height, shall comply with this code or the International Residential Code.

[A] 101.4.7 Existing buildings.
The provisions of the International Existing Building Code shall apply to matters governing the repair, alteration, change of occupancy, addition to and relocation of existing buildings.

Chapter 5 if that method is chosen by the designer will refer you to the IBC 74 times for a number of code requirements

I don't have access to the 2015 edition

2018 IBC

[A] 101.1 Title.
These regulations shall be known as the Building Code of [NAME OF JURISDICTION], hereinafter referred to as “this code.”

[A] 101.2 Scope.
The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, relocation, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures.

Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress, and their accessory structures not more than three stories above grade plane in height, shall comply with this code or the International Residential Code.

[A] 101.4.7 Existing buildings.
The provisions of the International Existing Building Code shall apply to matters governing the repair, alteration, change of occupancy, addition to and relocation of existing buildings.

Chapter 5 if that method is chosen by the designer will refer you to the IBC 74 times for a number of code requirements

2015 IBC has identical language. The way I interpret 101.2 is that it's IBC is applicable only because of 101.4.7 and that section makes it a directive to follow IEBC since it says "shall" whereas 2009 IBC had it's own chapter for Existing Buildings, and that chapter stated that you could use either IBC or IEBC for existing.

Thanks for finding that section.

Let us be realistic, even if the IBC says that existing buildings shall comply with the IEBC, there is nothing that would prevent you from complying wholly with the IBC for the entire existing building.

My reasoning is that you would be exceeding the required code (the IEBC in this case). For example, if using the work area compliance method and Level 2 alterations apply, you would only need to enclose an existing vertical opening with 1-hour construction. There are no requirements to increase the rating based on the number of stories connected or to comply with the provisions for atriums per the IBC. But if you comply with the provisions for atriums would the B.O. make you change it to just the 1-hour construction? Heck no.

The IEBC establishes the minimum threshold for compliance, which, in many areas, is lower than the threshold for new construction. So, why would anyone be opposed to allowing compliance to a higher threshold?

I am with Ron....Nothing stops you from building "as new" but if the designer is just being lazy and doesn't want to spell out the IEBC requirements/ details that is not the way to go as a building is rarely remodeled to meet the entirety of the new code...

Thank you for all your input. This was a weird scenario I won't get into here, but we were examining a re-build vs repairs for a damaged building.