• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IFC 1008.1.9.8 Electromagnetically locked egress doors?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
IFC 1008.1.9.8 Electromagnetically locked egress doors.

Doors in the means of egress that are not otherwise required to have panic hardware in buildings with an occupancy in Group A, B, E, M, R-1 or R-2 and doors to tenant spaces in Group A, B, E, M, R-1 or R-2 shall be permitted to be electromagnetically locked if equipped with listed hardware that incorporates a built-in switch and meet the requirements below:

1. The listed hardware that is affixed to the door leaf has an obvious method of operation that is readily operated under all lighting conditions.

2. The listed hardware is capable of being operated with one hand.

3. Operation of the listed hardware releases to the electromagnetic lock and unlocks the door immediately.

4. Loss of power to the listed hardware automatically unlocks the door.

5. Where panic or fire exit hardware is required by Section 1008.1.10, operation of the listed panic or fire exit hardware also releases the electromagnetic lock.

Item 2 states the listed hardware is capable of being released by one hand. We have an exit where the release is triggered by an occupancy/motion sensor. Anybody have experience with this as a "alternate means and method" option?

I have heard most are not listed for that application.

I keep hearing that smoke might cover the sensor, and possibly not see a person coming.

I have not approved sensor only.

But, there may be one or two out there now listed and would still work if obscured