• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IFC 317.3 - "Combustible vertical surfaces" and rooftop gardens

Harrison Staab

Supporter
IFC 2015. No local amendments. Somewhere in Colorado, USA, Earth. Multi-family (R-2) Type VA construction, sprinklered. Roof is entirely class A rated assembly, with TPO membrane over gypsum coverboard.

IFC 317.3 Rooftop structure and equipment clearance. For all vegetated roofing systems abutting combustible vertical surfaces, a Class A-rated roof system complying with ASTM E108 or UL 790 shall be achieved for a minimum 6-foot-wide continuous border placed around rooftop structures and all rooftop equipment including, but not limited to, mechanical and machine rooms, penthouses, skylights, roof vents, solar panels, antenna supports and building service equipment.

Does "combustible vertical surfaces" refer to combustible finish materials (a la IBC section 1406) or of a combustible construction type?

Does the 6-foot-wide continuous border requirement include parapet walls?

May a vegetated roof be located closer than 6' to a wood-framed penthouse wall with noncombustible stucco finish?

May a vegetated roof be located closer to 6' to a wood-framed parapet wall that is entirely covered with a class A roof covering assembly?

Poorly written section to me but I have never dealt with it, I say it is the "surface/ finish" not the construction type.....But the Class A roofing is probably combustible....