• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IFGC sediment trap exception for 'vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces, and outdoor grills'

raldure

IFGC 408.4 (2018) does not require a sediment trap for "installation in vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces and outdoor grills".

How have inspectors been interpreting the difference between a vented fireplace and a gas fireplace? If a gas fireplace which could be ventless gets the exception it seems that a ventless heater on wall/floor connected to outlet box would also get the exception. Any experience with inspectors? I have not seen a floor heater with a trap attached to its housing with a flex connect betwen shutoff and trap, but, that is not give me much confidence on what's expected by code/inspector. Thanks for any insights.

Ralph

Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, decorative vented appliances for installation in vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces and outdoor grills need not be so equipped.

These are appliances that are not controlled by a thermostat. They are controlled by an individual

Hey there Ralph,
Welcome to the forum eight years and three months ago.

Thanks for info and thanks for the belated welcome. I would have thought that I would have more posts/responses since I joined in 2013, but you never know where work will take you.