• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ignoring FEMA Rules in Flood Zones

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I am wondering and guessing that there are many homes being remodeled and built in the special flood hazard areas that go completely unchecked by a floodplain manager or any sort of FEMA compliance check. It seems as though this part of the forum is rather quiet considering the amount of flood damage that happens to the US per year in the billions of dollars. I have a feeling that it is often completely ignored or haphazardly enforced and not important until something does happen.

This happened to a town I was a BCO for and had an appointed flood manager with absolutely no training or certification. When we were hit by a 500 year flood event for the first time ever, it was a complete shock and the town ended up being put on probation by FEMA.

It entails risking losing any FEMA money and getting thrown out of the NFIP. It involves spending a few years showing FEMA that you are organized and enforcing the floodplain as required with frequent audits and checks.