• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IIIB and IIB

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Proposed building addition, 2021 IBC/IEBC. Single story, all sprinklered, E with B offices. Addition is the offices, about 1100sf², existing building is 43,000sf². Proposing mixed use/separated per 508.4. They do not list accessory occupancies for the B offices, however the aggregate for everything in the building would be below 10%.

The existing building is shown as IIIB, the proposed addition is IIB. They are not proposing a fire wall between the construction types, which is what I would generally look for. Since it all fits in IIIB, why not go that way? What am I missing here? Even if future additions were proposed, since both occupancies have the same area, story and height limitations does it matter? I can't see how the more restrictive FSD for IIIB could be it in this case, so I am just wondering if they just saw IIB as less restrictive because of that and chose it.

Is this just a poor code analysis? Seems like with proper wording and use of the code they could do what they want.

Technically....IIB is higher so screw the 2 hour walls...

602.1.1 Minimum Requirements

A building or portion thereof shall not be required to conform to the details of a type of construction higher than that type which meets the minimum requirements based on occupancy even though certain features of such a building actually conform to a higher type of construction.

I want to see where this goes....

I've had this happen to me. Typically is was poor research on behalf of the design firm. Usually they make an assumption based upon wood/steel stud and general appearance. Sure would be nice, and more accurate, for them to just pick up the phone and ask the AHJ for a copy of the CO with the construction type.

Technically....IIB is higher so screw the 2 hour walls...

602.1.1 Minimum Requirements

A building or portion thereof shall not be required to conform to the details of a type of construction higher than that type which meets the minimum requirements based on occupancy even though certain features of such a building actually conform to a higher type of construction.

I want to see where this goes....
Just realized my sawhorse ran out......Screw the 2 hour walls and call it all IIIB.....

I agree, it may not end up being an issue, since the entire building could be IIIB, but the entire building may not be a IIB. Without a fire wall, the entire structure would need to be IIB.....non-com, which is uncertain, but I can only assume at this point that there may be combustibles since they went with IIIB. That can be confirmed. OR, as T said, poor research...and maybe understanding. I can call it a IIIB all day, but it is the DP that needs to do that.

Did they try calling it Type IIB to avoid fire rating any load bearing exterior walls?

I agree, it may not end up being an issue, since the entire building could be IIIB, but the entire building may not be a IIB. Without a fire wall, the entire structure would need to be IIB.....non-com, which is uncertain, but I can only assume at this point that there may be combustibles since they went with IIIB. That can be confirmed. OR, as T said, poor research...and maybe understanding. I can call it a IIIB all day, but it is the DP that needs to do that.

A building cannot be two construction types. A firewall creates two buildings. Without the firewall, they have to classify the entire structure as either II-B or III-B. If the existing portion was originally III-B, to classify it as II-B they will have to provide a thorough analysis justifying reclassification is II-B. The easier solution is to call it all III-B.