• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Incidental storage use

steveray

SAWHORSE
I know this has been discussed, I have read the old threads, and it is far from settled as I see it, but here goes......

20130322_120253_zps29132b3c.jpg

Existing building, semi existing tenant space..... Architect proposes a 16,117 sqft "incidental" storage use to a 5200sqft internet cafe kind of place because he can't make the storage use work under mixed use unseperated.....

Is this the intent of incidental use? It is related to business (although I can't figure out why they need so much storage), is that all that we are supposed to care about is that the spaces are under common control? I know there is no definition of incidental in the code and the designer is looking at me like I have 2 heads......

The dictionary definitions usually define incidental similarly to accessory, related but smaller, that kind of thing...not trying to be unreasonable certainly, but they sure are pushing the envelope.....

Any input or discussion?

= +

What code section are you referencing, ...which codes,

...sprinkled, ...non-sprinkled, ...Type construction, etc.

I am referring to Section 508 in the IBC .

+ =

3B....IBC 2003 base.....sprinklered building, perimeter increase, 56,890 ft on the ground, 1 story, If you figure the S for a use, unseperated doesn't work, because it has an A3 use, the ratio on seperated I believe comes out to more than 1....asked the designer to do the math and show it and resubmit, he comes back with the 16,000+ "incidental" to the 5000ft space.....

= - =

Existing is an A-3?

IMO, an incidental use [ typically ] means a smaller amount of floor area.

Section 508.2.1 - Occupancy classification:

"An incidental use area shall be classified in accordance with the occupancy

of that portion of the building in which it is located or the building shall be

classified as a mixed occupancy and shall comply with Section 508.3."

~ - ~

Existing is a bunch of stuff......but A3 is one of them....I believe that the incidental is smaller also....but there is no definition.......in the code....

check 508.2 accessory occupancies and 508.2.1 area limitations

ibc 2009