• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Increased Building Height

Mech

2009 IBC

Other than Type 1 construction, is there any way I can get a building to meet code with an 88 ft height?

Thanks

The max for other construction types is 85 feet with sprinklers. Are you sure you are measuring the height correctly?

Coug Dad - It is 88 feet from the floor to the high side of the single sloping roof and 85 feet from the floor to the eave of the low side.

Inspector Gift - Thanks for chiming in with the average roof height. I have been measuring to the highest point of roofs, not the average height. The average is probably around 86'-9". Raising grade? It might work, although it will be a lot of dirt! :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure if this will turn into a project or not. We are not designing it, just performing a code review and offering suggestions. It is up to the design-build contractor to make the building work.

The AHJ may give them an exception under Section 503.1.1: Special industrial occupancies. Buildings and structures designed to house special industrial processes that require large areas and unusual building heights to accommodate craneways or special machinery and equipment, including, among others, rolling mills; structural metal fabrication shops and foundries; or the production and distribution of electric, gas or steam power, shall be exempt from the building height and area limitations of Table 503.