• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Indoor Compressed Natural Gas Facility

retire09

Silver Member
What would the occupancy classification be for an enclosed facility approximately 7,000 sf housing 2 large compressors used to compress natural gas and pump it into an underground storage facility several hundred feet away? If this would be an H classification, what would actually trigger that classification?

is the compressor the only thing in there??? as in more for weather protection then anything???

Nothing is in the building other than the compressors.

They are only in a building due to the location in Alaska. -20 degrees and lots of snow.

Ah weather protection

Not electrical, but seems like at least the electrical would have to be for hazardous area

Is your question if you call it an H, then do you sprinkle it???

I don't see the need to call this an H occupancy or to sprinkler the building or provide the ventilation required for an H.

I may be wrong, but I don't see the concern for natural gas in a closed welded pipe system inside a building that is only occupied for maintenance of the equipment.

This is basically an equipment enclosure for the protection of the equipment and not intended for occupancy.

Do I have a valid point?? Is there some code language that will support this being a less restrictive occupancy?