• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Indoor water park egress

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Doing a plan review for a very large indoor waterpark. There is a open stair tower to the top of a water slide. Counting this stairway and landings it will has a 150' egress. The bottom of the stairway is on a mezzanine with stairs down to the first floor where there are exits. The closest exit to the bottom of the stairs is 225'. Building is 1B constrution, A use, and sprinklered. Code wants a maxamum egress distance of 250'. Do I count the tower stairway with this? That would be a total of 375'. Just want to be sure before I fail this.

did you count the slide itself as a second exit?? person goes down the slide, exits thorugh exit door

good question, another one have not thought of. Not sure if it counts?? in away

Guess you could look at fire history in an indoor pool, but that does not take into account max exiting because of a floating babyruth bar.

Look at 1016.1 exception 1 and 2, I know it is not outdoors

Exceptions 1 and 2 provide for a travel distance terminating at the top of an open exit stair in an open parking structure, or an open exit stair or ramp in outdoor facilities (e.g., stadiums, exterior stairways from open balconies, observation decks and amusement structures) (see Section 1022.1, Exceptions 2 and 4). This is appropriate in view of the low hazard in these facilities.

also::

1022.1 Enclosures required. Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps shall be enclosed with fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 712, or both. Exit enclosures shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 hours where connecting four stories or more and not less than 1 hour where connecting less than four stories. The number of stories connected by the exit enclosure shall include any basements but not any mezzanines. Exit enclosures shall have a fire-resistance rating not less than the floor assembly penetrated, but need not exceed 2 hours. Exit enclosures shall lead directly to the exterior of the building or shall be extended to the exterior of the building with an exit passageway conforming to the requirements of Section 1023, except as permitted in Section 1027.1. An exit enclosure shall not be used for any purpose other than means of egress.

Exceptions:

1. In all occupancies, other than Group H and I occupancies, a stairway is not required to be enclosed when the stairway serves an occupant load of less than 10 and the stairway complies with either Item 1.1 or 1.2. In all cases, the maximum number of connecting open stories shall not exceed two.

1.1. The stairway is open to not more than one story above its level of exit discharge; or

1.2. The stairway is open to not more than one story below its level of exit discharge.

2. Exits in buildings of Group A-5 where all portions of the means of egress are essentially open to the outside need not be enclosed.

3. Stairways serving and contained within a single residential dwelling unit or sleeping unit in Group R-1, R-2 or R-3 occupancies are not

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the the water slide is a covered tube type over 250' long. Starts inside of building and loops around outside and ends inside. If the water stops it would be hard for someone to get out. Does this need an exit somewhere?

guess you could shot it back to them to see what kind of reply you get. At least you questuioned it. And appears only solution is to add exit closer to meet the 250.

% - - - %

Rick,

I am assuming that the slide steps "could" have occupants on it waiting

to go down the slide; in addition to having the top step with someone

on it.

I am initially thinking that the 250' limitation will apply.

Also, I agree with **cda** to make a comment back to to them on

the 250' limitation [ with the applicable code section(s) of course ],

and let them address it.

% - - - %

Kick it back maybe some performance based fix, since low fire hazard, only crowd hysteria problem

cda said:
Kick it back maybe some performance based fix, since low fire hazard, only crowd hysteria problem
I would not be so quick to classify as low fire hazard in that many of the features and furnishings are likely plastic or plastic coated.

I would not count the stairs to top of water slide as an exit, but as part of the amusement feature.

How do you treat indoor Ferris wheels, trains, and other rides?

Frank said:
I would not be so quick to classify as low fire hazard in that many of the features and furnishings are likely plastic or plastic coated.I would not count the stairs to top of water slide as an exit, but as part of the amusement feature.

How do you treat indoor Ferris wheels, trains, and other rides?
"""I would not count the stairs to top of water slide as an exit, but as part of the amusement feature."""But, still when you have a line of people from the gorund up to the top twenty or so feet in the air, and everyone want to leave at the same time

normally you do not have to climb very high to get to the ride.

some are classified as specail amusement buildings, and have special needs and most have lots of exits, you just do not notice them

It is a good question does it have to meet travel distance

ferris wheel a little different maybe, but still you are at ground level when you get on and off the ride.

= = [ ]

Also, ...is this Indoor Water Amusement Park ADA \ Accessibly

compliant, ...saaaaaaay, to the top of that slide ?

[ ] = =

I actually registered to reply to this topic. In a former life I was the project architect for several indoor water parks so I may be able to shed some light on this subject.

Rick, your profile doesn't give your location, but here in Wisconsin pools and water slides are regulated by the pool code, not the building code. Actually it's called "SAFETY, MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS OF PUBLIC POOLS AND WATER ATTRACTIONS" Exiting distances for an indoor water park are measured on the pool deck itself, and water slide stair towers are regulated by the design section of the pool code. Number of occupants are also figured as an assembly occupancy by the square footage of the deck area, taking out the pool/lazy river areas.

Fascinating reading: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/dhs/110/172.pdf

Your state may have something similar.

Looks like I'm late to the party here but here's my 2 cents.

In a former life I was the project architect for several indoor water parks. You don't give your location Rick, but here in Wisconsin water slides and pools are not governed by the building code, but the pool code (technically DHS 172 Safety Maintenance and Operation of Public Pools and Water Attractions, Google it for some fascinating reading). Exit distances are measured on the pool deck itself, not from anywhere on a slide, pool or attraction. Number of occupants is also figured by the square footage of the deck, leaving out pool and vessel areas. Your state or province may have something similar.

Thanks for the input WI Dave.

...and welcome to THE forum.

You've opened the door to the pun "jump in, the water's fine!"

They are now puting an exit near eough to comply. Don't have a pool code here. Still having problems with them about an accessible space at the pool bar inside the pool. The bar space would end up lower than the water surface.

Rick18071 said:
They are now puting an exit near eough to comply. Don't have a pool code here. Still having problems with them about an accessible space at the pool bar inside the pool. The bar space would end up lower than the water surface.
Hay excuse to water down the drinks