• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inground propane tank?

Span

Hi all! I have one home owner they don't want to pay their gas bill, so the gas company removed

their meter from inground hand hole box. Home owner than put in a portable propane tank in the hand hole box to supply existing house gas appliances, such as stove,furnance,WH.

Is anyone can help me with any applicable code to prevent owner from doing this? I've had check

UPC, IRC, CPC, can't find it. Thanks.

The box is locate right on front yard property line.

span

Re: Inground propane tank?

From the 2006 International Fuel Gas Code

Code:
301.7.1 Appliance fuel conversion. Appliances shall not be converted to utilize a different fuel gas except where complete instructions for such conversion are provided in the installation instructions, by the serving gas supplier or by the appliance manufacturer

Most appliance installation guides require a different "orfice" to be installed to switch from natural to LP.

In our state, however, you can bury a propane or heating oil tank for home use and be exempt from UST regs.

Agree regarding the orifices on the appliances and add the tank size to list of problems.

If you're talking about a 'BBQ' tank (20#) then there is a problem. Can't get the code section right now, but 100# is the minimum tank size for connection to the house. The regulator on the small tank is not compatible with the household appliances.

jim & john,

I had an old boy moving in from the farm and wanted to bring his 500gal propane tank with him as a backup system to the natural gas already supplied to the house.

The issues:

1)"Orfice" to allow the switcheroo from Natural to LP!

2) Tank size limitation, city ord. only allowed up to 120gal LP. and IFC limited the size of tank also

3) Gas co. agreement to supply gas was researched for existing supplied customers.

4) Research on the information hiway revealed an invention of a conversion orfice, patend pending.

Never heard of a LP tank being buried. :shock: :eek:

Late coming in...

It's not as easy a switch as people think it is...

I've seen big tanks buried.. never the little ones.

Most of the buried LPG tanks are 120 gal. and must be stamped UG for under ground and have an anode bag wired to the tank.

Rick

Thanks to all your information regarding to my post. Base on all brainstorming, I write the owner

a notice as follow: Liquidfied potroleam gas tank are not allow to put under ground & not allow

connected to any fixed gas pipe to supply residential natual gas appliances. disconnect your

unsafe pratice and have a plummer apply re-pipe gas line permit.

span

My first house had a 500 gallon propane tank that was buried. There are minimum distances from buildings and property lines.

Paul,

I would'nt shoot any deer off the back porch if I was you! :)

Late out of the gate.....

Span -

You might also want to run this by your local Fire Marshal/Chief also. In my AHJ, a permit is required from the FM before a tank can be set. Our Fire Marshal uses the NFPA to spell out what is required for the permit and determine where the tank can be set.

Sue, TGIF!