• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Installing ceiling drywall before interior framing - Fasten Master Vs Truss Clips

atvjoel

Been out of money working on my build but finally got some cash to keep plugging away. I have brought this up before and main argument is how you secure the wall to the truss with truss clips if you have drywall in the way. Other argument was how do you tip up the wall if the driwall is in the way. With my floor plan I can easily do this just save the section in open kitchen for lifting up the wall. Its much easier for me to install the drywall in the ceiling before framing interior walls so i dont have a ton of cuts. I dont mind crawling in the attic because its 6/12 pitch and a lot of room to wire. I strongly do not want to frame walls before installing drywall. Also there is less chances of air leaks or increased chances of ice dams.

The question is, what do ya'all think of these fasteners vs using truss clips? these not only look easier but still gives you the lateral support you need snd allow expansion and contraction https://www.fastenmaster.com/products/fastenmaster-non-load-bearing-connector.html

Neat and the continuous gwb is great. Some cornice detail would mask a gap. You will loose acoustical separation so think about who is in next room when making whoopee.

Those are fine...Just don't fasten the drywall above the walls or you will rip the tape apart unless you actually intend to leave the gap...?

Also there is less chances of air leaks or increased chances of ice dams.
I know this is off topic.

This statement piqued my interest. It sound like the drywall is providing the principal resistance to air leakage, or is it just assisting? Here we typically see the vapour barrier serving this purpose.

I'm just curious.

I know this is off topic.

This statement piqued my interest. It sound like the drywall is providing the principal resistance to air leakage, or is it just assisting? Here we typically see the vapour barrier serving this purpose.

I'm just curious.
I'm curious also but question the integrity of a vapor barrier above an interior wall especially with truss clips poking through it.