• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Installing The Exterior Electrical Panelbox

globe trekker

On some Residential installations of the exterior electrical panelboxes, I have noticed that

the installer has inserted wall anchors in to the mortar joints of the brick veneer, vs.

actually drilling in to the brick face itself.

A code instructor has taught / instructed us inspectors to not allow this type of

anchoring to the mortar joints, because, over time, those wall anchors will become

loose and thus, ...dislodge from the wall surfaces.

Is there anything in the IRC or NEC that mandates that these panelboxes be anchored

directly in to the face of brick? Have any of you seen this type of installation?

Do any of you allow this? I am looking at Art. 110.13(A) in the NEC, but this refers

to "wooden plugs".

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Chris for the reference!

Are the mortar joints considered to be part of the exterior surfaces, or ONLY the bricks themselves

( according to code - - NEC, IRC or IBC )

In freezing weather penetrations into the brick itself will subject it to spalling and splitting causing the fastener to become loose and dislodge. Because brick manufacturing ingredients varies so does the strength of the brick however portland cement lime mortar is normally stronger and it's the glue that bonds the brick together and secures it to the ties.

I usually want to see the box or specs for the fasteners approved for this installation.

install to the structure, not the facing (you wouldn't allow vinyl siding to support it, would you)? Yup, you have to flash and provide drainage. Side around the box.