• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Insulation Board in Crawl Space

darcar

Silver Member
Are any of you familiar with this product? Air Sealing and Insulating a Crawl Space Video: Energy Efficient Crawl Space

A not-so-local water proofing company is applying panels of this stuff in a crawl space. Its new to me so I asked the contractor to provide me with material specifications.

My concern is addressing the requirement for a thermal barrier as listed in section R316 of the 2012 IRC.

The contractor has draped a thick rubberized membrane over it, acting as a blanket, but I don't see where it meets the proper criteria of both the Temperature Transmission Fire Test and the Integrity Fire Test of NFPA 275.

Any thoughts or input?

Another avenue for approval.......but if it doesn't meetany of those approvals then cover it per 314.2.3 (2003IRC)

R314.3 Specific approval.

Plastic foam not meeting the requirements of Sections R314.1 and R314.2 may be specifically approved on the basis of one of the following approved tests: ASTM E 84, FM 4880, UL 1040, NFPA 286, ASTM E 152, or UL 1715, or fire tests related to actual end-use configurations. The specific approval may be based on the end use, quantity, location and similar considerations where such tests would not be applicable or practical.