• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Interior Exit Stair Run - Change of vertical direction

aldidog

Reviewing a project under the 2018 IBC. Project has an interesting interior exit stair configuration. Level of discharge from the stair is essentially halfway between first and second floor. The landing height between the two floors is slightly lower than the discharge.

The sequence for people from the first floor is: Enter the stair - ascend a run of stairs - landing - ascend 3 more steps - landing - discharge.
The sequence for people from the second floor is: Enter the stair - descend a run of stairs - landing - ascend 3 more steps - landing - discharge.

I know a picture would help, but this is my first post ever. My concern is that the people on the second floor have to change movement direction. Granted, this is all within the rated stairwell enclosure. Also, the building is fully sprinklered, so area of refuge are not required. They also have a gate at the landing to keep 2nd floor evacuees from continuing down the stair instead of egressing. The configuration seems really suspect, but I can't find anywhere this violates and of the IBC, or ADA. Thoughts?

Those last three steps for each direction, are they the same three steps?

Assuming they are, is the situation normal? No. Is the situation legal by code? Yes.

There is nothing in the code about changing direction within the means of egress, horizontally or vertically, except that you cannot reenter the building after reaching the exit discharge.

Seems fine to me as long as there is the deterrent to not allow them to "pass" the LED....

1023.8 Barrier at level of exit discharge. An interior exit
stairway and ramp shall not continue below its level of exit
discharge unless an approved barrier is provided at the level
of exit discharge to prevent persons from unintentionally
continuing into levels below. Directional exit signs shall be
provided as specified in Section 1013.