• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

interior finish

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Is there a requirement or prohibition that would not permit exposed flex duct within a living space in a SF dwelling? I see the flame spread requirement for interior finishes and I think this duct is 25 so it would probably pass that. Just not sure if there is anything else. I am limited to IRC, chapters 1-11.

+

Sifu,

Section R305.1 [ minimum ceiling height ] , `06 IRC might be applicable if

the ducts are installed lower than 7 ft. A.F.F.........The ducts can be installed,

they just can't be installed lower than 7 ft. A.F.F.

+ +

I only have a dog in the fight if it is not permitted, otherwise I couldn't care less. I just haven't seen it before that I recall so I wanted to make sure there was no prohibition against it. I know the flame spread has no effect. The thermal envelope could be affected, and the ducts (located in two different houses, one from floor to ceiling and the other out a wall halfway up to the ceiling) would be lower than 7'AFF but are in closets. Not looking for a reason to fail it, just making sure I don't need to for some good reason. If this joker wants to put flex duct in an otherwise nice home and some other joker wants to buy it more power to them.