• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Interior Lot Line Construction Distances for Type VB

Citytrekker

1-story wood frame, Type 5B restaurant 4,300 SF restaurant with 1,000 SF brewery. We can go non-sprinklered because we are using IBC 2003 and are under 300 occupants (and within the 1-story 6,000 SF limits height and area limit table).

We have a 2x6 stud framed wall 5'-1" away from the interior lot line with a gable end (1'-0" wood framed lookout overhang) and prefabricated 8/12 trusses running parallel to the wall. Because we are closer than 10' to the line i know we need a 1HR wall. It is my understanding that we can fire protect this wall so that it is rated from the interior side only and run the wall to the underside of the roof sheathing. I believe the 12" projections for type 5VB construction can be combustible past this 1HR gable end. The interior is open to the underside of the roof sheathing with insulation above the roof and exposed trusses on the inside.

If we don't have a parapet on the gable end and we are unsprinklered are we going to have to protect the roof for a certain distance? (this would be difficult and would not want to do this.)

Also, we will take a portion of wall to 1" from the interior lot line. It is my understanding that this wall can be a 1HR rated wall 2x6 framed wall (protected from both sides) with a 30" parapet. Does the roof have to be protected for a certain distance from the lot line even with a parapet?

I do not have a copy of IBC, but need to cite code sections and make sure i have the right wall sections.

Don't have a book in front of me, as most other frequent posters on this forum during the weekend, but I'm sure come tomorrow you will get some educated replies.

Welcome to the forum!