• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Interior Partitions in Type IV Heavy Timber

jar546

Forum Coordinator
*This is not from me, it is from someone having trouble posting so I thought I would post it for them*

Heavy Timber type IV – interior partitions refers to section 602.4.6

I have an existing building that is IV construction, we want to improve the building with standard construction interior partitions noncombustible.

The code section noted 602.4.6 states partitions must be wood, there is not room or note for standard construction.

Common sense kicks in that noncombustible construction would be acceptable

but I have not code section to point to this being the case,

It clearly state exterior noncombustible, but interior “it” is omitted.

We want to make sure we can use metal studs but I have no defense if an examiner calls us out with this section with no exceptions.

Hopefully someone can help us with a clear argument from code section or two.

Thanks for our help

John

*This is not from me, it is from someone having trouble posting so I thought I would post it for them*

Heavy Timber type IV – interior partitions refers to section 602.4.6

I have an existing building that is IV construction, we want to improve the building with standard construction interior partitions noncombustible.

The code section noted 602.4.6 states partitions must be wood, there is not room or note for standard construction.

Common sense kicks in that noncombustible construction would be acceptable

but I have no code section to point to this being the case,

It clearly state exterior noncombustible, but interior “it” is omitted.

We want to make sure we can use metal studs but I have no defense if an examiner calls us out with this section with no exceptions.

Hopefully someone can help us with a clear argument from code section or two.

Thanks for our help

John
Thank you Jeff, sorry I reposted, too

602.4.6 Partitions. Partitions shall be of solid wood construction formed by not less than two layers of 1-inch (25 mm) matched boards or laminated construction 4 inches (102 mm) thick, or of 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction.

Apparently this did not carry over in the migration....Steel studs and drywall will do it...

Reactions: JBI