• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

International Property Maintenance Code

bill1952

SAWHORSE
I was in an ICC 300 code committee meeting and we were discussing proposing a requirement for the IPMC to require annual inspections - just as ICC 300 will. There was to me surprising to me resistance - from a building official - to this. Basically staffing.

Where I lived before, the FD did annual inspections of commercial properties and the building department walked the neighborhoods and sent noticed - not sure if whole village in one year or maybe an every 3 or 4 year cycle. Where I live now the IPMC is adopted but I'm guessing only enforced based on complaints - phone calls from neighbors or newspaper articles and such.

Just curious how often any requirements like this, such as annual inspection of all the bleachers etc. in your jurisdiction, is done. Does any jurisdiction for instance look at all the bleachers on school and park and whoever's property once a year, or ever? I'm sure in 35 years of code committee work I have supported such requirements. Some have been the Owner's responsibility, but some assume the building department or fire department.