• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IPC 305.3 Compliance Sleeved Through Foundation

Short answer: yes if the sleeve was intact when the block wall was grouted, no if it was broken during grouting so that the pipe is grouted in place.

Cheers, Wayne

> > >

Yes, compliant……..I would prefer something that was permanently installed rather than removeable.

< < <

Last edited:
Short answer: yes if the sleeve was intact when the block wall was grouted, no if it was broken during grouting so that the pipe is grouted in place.

Cheers, Wayne
That can easily be determined by grabbing and shaking the smaller pipe.

The pipe is required to be protected by a sleeve or a relieving arch. I would contend that if the pipe is not grouted in place, the oversized hole allows movement of the pipe, I would say that the pipe is protected by a relieving arch, and is thus compliant.

California plumbing code is based on the Uniform Plumbing Code. The hole as shown in the picture would pass inspection when the annular space has been sealed. So the next question is?::: What is used to seal the annular space and not lock the pipe in place to the point that the pipe could become subject to a load from the building?

The reaason for the oversize font is that this is a screen shot ..... I can't copy and paste directly from the code.

Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 9.03.29 AM.png

What is used to seal the annular space and not lock the pipe in place to the point that the pipe could become subject to a load from the building?
Any material weaker than the pipe, so that if a load is transmitted from the wall through the material to the pipe, the material will crush before the pipe does.

Cheers, Wayne

: What is used to seal the annular space and not lock the pipe in place to the point that the pipe could become subject to a load from the building?
Good place to use up the non-compliant spray foam used for “fire sealing”.

Is it truly 2 sizes larger?
Yes.

The cap on the end of the inner pipe clearly says 2". That's 2.375" OD if it's Schedule 40, and 2-1/2" Schedule 40 has an ID of only 2.469". The gap looks much bigger than 0.1", so the sleeve is at least 3".

Cheers, Wayne