• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC Ceiling Joists - Lateral Bracing in lieu of sheetrock

SDS

Is there any reference in the IRC for omitting sheetrock on ceiling joists and using lateral bracing instead? I'm looking for an acceptable spacing for the bracing, if possible.

I've been through the 2021 IRC and searched here but couldn't find anything that deals with this question.

The building is an 18' wide detached residential garage with a typical hand-framed gable roof/ridge board and ceiling joists. The client would like to sheetrock the inside later.

I use 4 ft. as a rule of thumb. If I remember correctly I derived it from the Euler buckling formula using 1200 PSI bending stress on a 1 1/2" (actual) width joist.

If trusses, there should be a note on the calcs. that gives you the spacing. Lateral bracing, rat runs, blocking, bridging, or what ever name you want to use generally no more than 10' oc. If nailed to the rafters I would only expect 1 in the center of a 18' span. If ends are free then blocking or rat run on each end and 1 in the middle. JMO

2 runs depending on the size of the ceiling joist

R802.8.1 Bridging.
Rafters and ceiling joists having a depth-to-thickness ratio exceeding 6 to 1 based on nominal dimensions shall be supported laterally by solid blocking, diagonal bridging (wood or metal) or a continuous 1-inch by 3-inch (25 mm by 76 mm) wood strip nailed across the rafters or ceiling joists at intervals not exceeding 8 feet (2438 mm).