• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC chapter three webinars!

Glenn

I'm working my way through every section and subsection in Chapter 3 of the IRC in a 9-part series of 90-minute webinars. Each webinar is stand-alone, so you don't have to attend all 9 sessions. I presented the first three in April and the next three are now scheduled for May.

90 minutes: Fire and Water May 14th 9 - 10:30
The IRC provides a number of passive fire protection requirements in section 302, such as limiting space between structures through fire separation distance, and limiting the rapid spread of fire through fireblocking, draft stops and firestopping. Also provided in Section R313 is the requirement for active fire suppression though the use of automatic fire sprinkler systems.

90 minutes: Health and Human, May 21st, 9 - 10:30
Sections 303 and 306 provide the minimum requirements for the comfortable and sanitary environment within a home. Provisions related to illumination, heating, and sanitation are discussed in depth. Also necessary for a safe environment is appropriate accessibility for those with mobility challenges, and this is discussed as provided in section 320.

90 Minutes: Alarms and Nature, May 28th, 9 - 10:30
For the IRC to be useful across the US, chapter three provides a number of provisions that differentiate the various climatic and geographic conditions that buildings must endure. Force of Nature lays out all the variables of the environment that affect code provisions. Coupled with this are the two required alarms that protect us from poisons that can be present in any climate, smoke and carbon monoxide. Sections 314 and 315 provide the necessary details for the proper installation and thus successful use of these critical alarms.

Here's a clip from this morning's webinar, Fire and Water, all about how to measure Fire Separation Distance. Consider joining me next Thursday for Health and Human. www.buildingcodecollege.com/webinars. Check the sawhorse private section for a discount coupon.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is "Health and Human", sections 303, 306 and 320. Those provisions may appear simple, but there's a lot more to them than face value. As with all my classes, we will "go beyond the words", and look at the history, meaning, and intent of these provisions. You will enjoy this webinar. Sawhorse members, look for a coupon code in the private section of this forum. Thank you for your support of this important communication's platform.

I've scheduled the last three webinars in the 9-part series, IRC Chapter Three. For today, June 15th, only REGISTRATION IS FREE. Starting tomorrow each webinar is only $15. Webinars are 90 minutes, the topics are stand alone, and are ICC-approved for 0.15 ICC preferred provider CEUs.
www.buildingcodecollege.com/webinars.

Here is a short clip from my webinar last week. Please consider attending this Thursday at 9 am MDT. I will be presenting part 8 of the 9-part IRC Chapter Three series. It will be all about "Sizes and Services". I'll include some fun history about minimum room size over the last 100 years. If you don't like webinars or have never tried one, please give one of mine a chance. They are not your average webinars. Details at www.buildingcodecollege.com Only $15 for 90 minutes and 0.15 ICC CEUs (preferred provider)