• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC, E3601.8

SCBO1

Platinum Member
IRC, E6301.8, Have you seen this little gem?

Anyone enforcing this?

I believe 230.82(3) and 230.85 are NEC references.

E3601.8Emergency disconnects.

For one- and two-family dwelling units, all service conductors shall terminate in disconnecting means having a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available fault current, installed in a readily accessible outdoor location. If more than one disconnect is provided, they shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be one of the following:
  1. 1.Service disconnects marked as follows: EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, SERVICE DISCONNECT.
  2. 2.Meter disconnect switches that have a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available fault current and all metal housings and service enclosures are grounded in accordance with Section E3908.7 and bonded in accordance with Section 3609. A meter disconnect switch shall be capable of interrupting the load served and shall be marked as follows: EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, METER DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT.
  3. 3.Other listed disconnect switches or circuit breakers on the supply side of each service disconnect that are suitable for use as service equipment and marked as follows: EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT.
Markings shall comply with Section E3404.12. [230.82 (3), 230.85]

Reactions: ICE
2017 Code Language:

230.82 Equipment Connected to the Supply Side of Service Disconnect.
Only the following equipment shall be permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means:

(3) Meter disconnect switches nominally rated not in excess of 1000 V that have a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available short-circuit current, if all metal housings and service enclosures are grounded in accordance with Part VII and bonded in accordance with Part V of Article 250. A meter disconnect switch shall be capable of interrupting the load served. A meter disconnect shall be legibly field marked on its exterior in a manner suitable for the environment as follows: METER DISCONNECT NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

2020 Code Language:

N
230.85 Emergency Disconnects.

For one- and two-family dwelling units, all service conductors shall terminate in disconnecting means having a short-circuit current rating equal to or greater than the available fault current, installed in a readily accessible outdoor location. If more than one disconnect is provided, they shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be one of the following:

(1) Service disconnects marked as follows:

EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,

SERVICE DISCONNECT

(2) Meter disconnects installed per 230.82(3) and marked as follows:

EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,

METER DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

(3) Other listed disconnect switches or circuit breakers on the supply side of each service disconnect that are suitable for use as service equipment and marked as follows:

EMERGENCY DISCONNECT, NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

Reactions: ICE
We amended it to not apply to service changes, just new construction...Except we don't allow it to be emergency and not service disco....

I have some angst about this in some urban locations. Seems begging for nuisance abuse if not just plain criminal.

But it is for safety and isn't that more important than being annoyed? Honest it's not to sell more product....
What about safety for someone who heats with electricity (won't we all before long?) and it below zero? Or a single women who has to come outside to turn it back on? Or someone who depends on some electric medical device? A lot more than annoyance. Snip the lock on the meter and whack it with the back of your hand like has been done for years.

I thought we were fine the way it was, FD shows up, cuts the little green tag, releases the meter ring, pulls the meter and lets go fight the fire!

Solar has a disco.

ICE has posted meter sockets with the breaker panel in the same enclosure, what kind of issues do they have when they can shut your service off from outside? That's what the killer in a creeper movie does before they get inside to get granny, they shut the power off! This is a security issue IMO.

Really don't see the purpose in this change.

FD shows up, cuts the little green tag, releases the meter ring, pulls the meter
Just a comment, the fire departments around me are not allowed to do that. The have to call the power company or "qualified person". I know this because I happen to know who they call around me. I think that's a NY law.

Bill,

You may be on to something, maybe liability?

The FD must be okay with throwing the disconnect handle.

Bill,

You may be on to something, maybe liability?

The FD must be okay with throwing the disconnect handle.
I believe the issue is arc-flash and injury to the person pulling the meter. The proper switch with it's enclosure should not present a hazard.