• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC R703.1.1, Exeception 2 ~ ASTM E 331

codewonk

At the risk of tedium, R703.1.1 exception 2 states:

"Compliance with the requirements for a means of drainage, and the requirements of Section R703.2 and Section R703.8, shall not be required for an exterior wall envelope that has been demonstrated to resist wind-driven rain through testing of the exterior wall envelope, including joints, penetrations and intersections with dissimilar materials, in accordance with ASTM E 331 under the following conditions:" (et al)

Per ASTM's subtitle for E 331, it is a " Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference."

Finally the question; does the use of this exception require the field use of all of the specific E 331 tested components (i.e., cladding , specific flashing details for joints, penetrations and intersections with dissimilar materials, WRBs, etc. )? In other words, is it the intent of the code that a designer may select a single component out of the test mock-up (i.e., the WRB) and invoke this exception?

I don't believe that is the intent but I would appreciate hearing your take. Thanks !!!

Not from where I sit. Looks like they want a tested 'system' not just components of a system.

It's kinda like a manufacture saying their complete HVAC system is listed because the motor in the unit is.