• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a secondary egress required on an attic apartment?

Airnordica

Hello all,
I have a house in Denver categorized a "Conversion," so it had the upstairs converted way back when to an apartment. There is an existing non-code complying egress stair in the back of the house we call it the "hobbit hole." I want to know if I can get rid of it and use the primary shared entrance foyer and stair well as the only mean of access to the upstairs apartment? The ground floor unit has a proper back door as well.
Thanks for any insight.

Welcome

So it looks like a regular two story house?

How many bedrooms is the upstairs apartment?

I take it the upstairs people come and go using the stairs and shared entrance??

And no way for one of the tenants to impede exiting?

Does Denver city still use this term :: Denver categorized a "Conversion

Welcome

So it looks like a regular two story house?

How many bedrooms is the upstairs apartment?

I take it the upstairs people come and go using the stairs and shared entrance??

And no way for one of the tenants to impede exiting?

Yes regular two story house.
One bedroom upstairs.
And yes they use the shared entrance and no impediment.