• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a Stamp or Seal of a RDP required when you don't have a local ordinance?

UB: I agree with your post. There have been many times I have called a DP on a beam or point load and had dead silence after raising the question of do you think you are correct. The silence! The I will get back to you. Most often a revised plan with supporting documents appears.

Next, as far as ICC comments I don't use them anymore. Waist of time. I gave up with BOCO years ago on several issues that their response was just the old round heel on the boots and they left it up to me. With a BB like this one, we are far better off. We have at our fingertips a world of experience. Often willing to give direction and advise. Not always what we want to hear but none the less good code response and direction to how to find the correct answer.

"Designers" alot of times, don't bother to check their structural designs; the only value of even seeing their calculations is to ensure that they have given the design any real thought; whether they are correct is the designers' responsibility. RJJ is right, if you call them on it - they will generally change the plans so they at least comply with what the code requires in the first place.

The only way to get a real opinion from ICC is to ask for a formal interpretation; which a committee does (and I sit on one of those), and it gets published in their interpretations. I don't recall this coming across my e-mail for our committee for comments.

I just know that I've been in the unfortunate position of having to testify about structural calculations (in the file from a my predecessor).

Peach: The scary part is that poor design seems to be more common these days. People are just putting a stamp on anything. From what I see in surrounding areas I wonder if plan review is being done.I have had inspectors say well it is stamped that all I need.

peach said:
"Designers" alot of times, don't bother to check their structural designs; the only value of even seeing their calculations is to ensure that they have given the design any real thought; whether they are correct is the designers' responsibility. RJJ is right, if you call them on it - they will generally change the plans so they at least comply with what the code requires in the first place.
But then there is the guy who says "If you think they are wrong, don't issue a permit. I will see you in court." And then he goes off and starts construction. And his lawyer starts legal action against the AHJ's office or whoever.

While the applicant can start legal action if the building official has a valid concern the courts will defer to the building official. If you are not willing to call their bluff why play the game.

GH.. been there too... have a writ of mandamus tossed at you once or twice and you learn to keep proper paperwork in the records. If there is no reason to have structural calculations (in California.. yeah.. most plan reviewers in the big jurisdictions are PE's... or used to be).. no legal reason to have them.. just don't.

In most cases, the plan review fee isn't going to cover the cost of the consultant.. and that's what the city manager is going to look at (been there too)