• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a sub panel required for kitchen remodel?

Jpiezo

We are remodeling our kitchen in California and the contractor has indicated placing a sub panel in the hallway near the kitchen. We are planning to upgrade our service panel prior to the remodel to 200 Amps with sufficient slots to add all required breakers to support the remodel. Is a sub panel required by code?

My concern is both that an interior subpanel is an eye sore, and AFGI and CFGI breakers can hum or buzz, the location is near our bedroom. So, I do not want to pay for something we will be unhappy with if it makes sounds that affect our sleep.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

A sub-panel is not required by code. The contractor may want to place a panel near the kitchen in order to lesson the work and or expense of running cable to the main panel. A smart electrical contractor from my past would place a sub-panel in the garage and make every kitchen counter receptacle a home run.

I have not heard of AFCI/GFCI breakers humming. If they are humming it's because they don't know the words and are fixing to become a real problem.

Last edited:
A sub-panel is not required by code. The contractor may want to place a panel near the kitchen in order to lesson the work and or expense of running cable to the main panel. A smart electrical contractor from my past would place a sub-panel in the garage and make every kitchen counter receptacle a home run.

I have not heard of AFCI/GFCI breakers humming. If they are humming it's because they don't know the words and are fixing to become a real problem.
Hilarious!! I’ll teach the breakers the words to prevent a future problem. Once I learn them…

Thank you! I hadn’t heard of a sub panel requirement. Now if I could only find a EC that will upgrade the panel on T&M rather than flat rate. I’ll handle the permit and utility coordination. Considered upgrading myself since it is quite simple, however I expect the inspector to give more scrutiny on a home owner upgrade.

Thanks again!!

Considered upgrading myself since it is quite simple, however I expect the inspector to give more scrutiny on a home owner upgrade.

Thanks again!!
Oh you'welcome.

Famous last words are "since it is quite simple".

I don't speak for your inspector but will tell you that I gave them all as much scrutiny as I could muster. Often a homeowner did just as well as a contractor and a contractor did just as poorly as a homeowner....Or was it the other way around?

Seems to me that an owner could replicate a drawing to the point of being impeccably neat but the YouTube video had it all wrong. And the contractor, well he owns a home too.

Last edited:

I have not heard of AFCI/GFCI breakers humming.

If they are humming it's because they don't know the words and are fixing to become a real problem.
A Code Official with a Sense of Humor? Unheard Of!

Personally, an electrical contractor suggesting sub-panels is smart.

I am not from the west coast, but every home I ever worked on, I always suggested a sub-panel near the kitchen and one on every level of the home.

In my area, most homes and I am dating my age here, normally have a mud room entry with the washer dryer and that was normally off the kitchen and the garage. The sub-panel for the kitchen was located normally behind the open door in the mud room, which leads into the kitchen or hallway.

The second floor the sub-panel was located behind the open door to the master bedroom, hence close the door and the sub-panel was there, you can hang a picture over it. Things have changed and I am not sure if that location is allowed anymore. But sub-panels are not that large and nothing a picture can't hide once the inspectors are gone.

All homes in my area I have worked on have basements and the main panel is normally either in the basement or in the garage at the closest corner of the home to the utility entry.

And that west coast thing of the panel on the exterior of the home, who wants to have to go outside in the rain the onetime something trips in a storm.

A properly wired home with quality products should not have breakers and switches that hum.... except for those motor/fan controls, and well I don't have any because I can't stand the hum either.

So no, a sub-panel is not required, but in my opinion is smart, and I would give the EC points for suggesting it, not hold it against them.

As to doing the work yourself, if you work for a firm or company where you have steady income and lots of time off, go for it, you sound like you have enough A.D.D. in you to make sure everything is done correctly.

I on the other hand work for myself, and though I do my own renovation work now, when I had a more hectic schedule it was cheaper to pay the EC, even though I knew it was a lot cheaper to do it myself, because my time doing what I do every day for a living made me more income than anything I would come close to saving.

But as to the OP, personally the sub-panel IMO is a smart thing, though not required by code.

And it got me into trouble more than once.
Before I leave this world, I would love the know why adding humor always gets people in trouble, IMO ICE, you would have been well welcomed on the site, even with the strict hold on code enforcement. There is a difference expecting things to be done correctly and overstepping what you believe is correct.

I heard the girls in the office laugh the other day at City Hall, I think someone might have told a joke? I'm pretty sure if it were a joke it wasn't told by an inspector!

"There's no crying in baseball and no laughing at City Hall!"