• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is accessibility required?

skipharper

Using the 2006 IBC, I have a second floor that is 2500 sq. ft. and is intended to be used for a day care facility within an A3. The main floor is accessible but has no day care facilities on that floor. Is the second floor required to be accessible?

SECTION 1103

SCOPING REQUIREMENTS

1103.1 Where required. Sites, buildings, structures, facilities, elements and spaces, temporary or permanent, shall be accessible to persons with physical disabilities.

1103.2.12 Day care facilities. Where a day care facility (Groups A-3, E, I-4 and R-3) is part of a dwelling unit, only the portion of the structure utilized for the day care facility is required to be accessible.

It is an existing structure. 1103.2.12 Day care facilities. Where a day care facility (Groups A-3, E, I-4 and R-3) is part of a dwelling unit, only the portion of the structure utilized for the day care facility is required to be accessible. It is not part of a dwelling unit.

1103.1--all kinds of exceptions including under 3000 sq. ft. does not need to be part of an accessible route.

jar546 said:
New or existing, existing change of use?Sounds like it would have a hard time NOT being accessible.

Oh Gene, where for art thou?[/QUOTE]

Hi guys!

Back from vacation - rested and not happy to be back to work - wish I was still on the beach. . . . .

but I digress.

I think exception #1 to 1104.4 applies here. It's less than 3000 SF and not a health care office or retail occupancy - nor is it a specific occupancy identified in 1108.

btw: it's consistent with exception #1 to 206.3 of the new ADAAG regs (soon to be published - I hope).

So, no. No accessibility is required onto that floor. That does not exempt them from designing the toilet rooms and pathways as being accessible. Only access to the level is exempted - not the elements on the second floor.