• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is basement considered a story, that area needs to be aggregate with rest of building

Morphdesigns

Sawhorse
Code: IBC 2015

Working on a 60'x190' post frame maintenance building. The building construction type is VB and occupancy is S-1 and a B, since that area is over 10% and building will not be sprinklered. Per table 504.4, we are allowed 1 story above grade plan, and per table 506.2, we are allowed 9000 sqft building area. However, with frontage increase, we can go over 12,000 sqft, but we do not want to sprinkler, so we are staying under that allowable aggregate fire area (IBC 903.2.9). The 2 long sides of this building, the grade is at floor line. 1 short endwall is sitting into a hill, with retaining walls holding back the rest of the hill. The other short endwall is "2-story", as the basement is exposed on this end. The basement is 60x27

The grade level building footprint is 11,400 sqft. We are going to have a 550 sqft open mezzanine, We have an open storage room so a mezzanine is allowed if it is no larger than 1/3rd of the area of the room, and is open. So including the main level area and this mezzanine area, will put the total aggregate building fire area just under 12,000 sqft. Per IBC 505.2, it states that the mezzanine area is included in the fire area.

We have a small basement. Per IBC 506.1.3, it states basement area is not included in the total allowable floor area of a building. This basement area is 1620 sqft. The basement is open on 1 side (south), so this gives access per ibc 903.2.11.1. This basement has no rooms. The open side has 2 overhead doors and a walk door. There is no access (stairs) from the basement to the ground floor.

The floor above the basement level and the grade level was planned to be a precast floor, due to height restrictions. It is not planned for this floor and the supporting floor structure to be rated.

I do not see anywhere in the IBC that states a basement needs to be included in the aggregate fire area. If the basement does need to be included, then that will put my area over the allowable 12,000 sqft, with no sprinkler. We do not want to sprinkler, so if that is the case, we will provide a 3-hr horizontal fire separation per table 707.3.10, to separate the fire area.

Is this basement considered a fire area or not?

Thanks for your help.

That's a pretty in-depth comment you got there. Does your client expect you to provide free services as well? I suggest hiring a code consultant or put one on retainer. I can you give you my firms information if you'd like.

The basement is not a story above grade plane but it is fire area...And you may want to look in 903....

[F] 903.2.11.1 Stories Without Openings

Diagram
An automatic sprinkler system shall be installed throughout all stories, including basements, of all buildings where the floor area exceeds 1,500 square feet (139.4 m2) and where the story does not comply with the following criteria for exterior wall openings:
I don't think we have enough info to determine if the basement isn't actually a story above grade plane.

STORY ABOVE GRADE PLANE. Any story having its finished floor surface entirely above grade plane, or in which the finished surface of the floor next above is:

1. More than 6 feet (1829 mm) above grade plane; or
2. More than 12 feet (3658 mm) above the finished ground level at any point

I don't think we have enough info to determine if the basement isn't actually a story above grade plane.

STORY ABOVE GRADE PLANE. Any story having its finished floor surface entirely above grade plane, or in which the finished surface of the floor next above is:

1. More than 6 feet (1829 mm) above grade plane; or
2. More than 12 feet (3658 mm) above the finished ground level at any point
Correct...I should have said "may not be"....it's always a story and always fire area...just not always above GP