• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is netting considered an Open-Grid Ceiling?

Okie

I am looking to open a Golf Simulator business in Massachusetts. I had reached out to my local fire inspector to ask if we could have netting under sprinklers, to which he responded that nothing could be under sprinklers to obstruct the spray pattern. The netting is to keep balls from hitting stuff above it. I then stumbled across 9.3.10 of NFPA 13. The netting I have in mind would be compliant in every way, but is nylon netting considered a ceiling? The net would be pulled taut to maintain the integrity of the 1" squares that it has. The materiel has a certified fire retardant rating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The fire inspector is the help that you need. One inch squares would allow sufficient water to get through but that would be dependent on how far the netting is away from the sprinkler head. If it is close the spray pattern will be no larger in diameter than what it is at that distance from the head. In other words, the pattern diameter will be reduced. That doesn't sound like it will work properly.

You also need to consider the Massachusetts Fire Code based on NFPA 1 2015 edition with amendments chapter 20 (decorations) and possible entanglement hazard if it was to fall from the ceiling.