• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is residence required to have utilities turned on?

comarley

We are under the 2015 International Property Maintenance Code (although 2021 has identical language). Section 102.2 states that "no ... operator or occupant shall cause any service ... or utility that is required under this section to be ... shut off from or discontinued for any occupied dwelling." However, that section does not actually list any required utilities. The occupant (residential) failed to pay his electric bill and the electricity was shut off over a month ago. Is there any requirement in the IPMC that the dwelling's electric service be turned on? If not in the IMPC, then in the IRC, UCC, IBC, NEC, etc.?

From the 2015 IPMC, a little loose, says it must be provided, but does not say anything about energized. Also, what source..... maybe generator?

1686313218985.png

I lived for five years without electricity. Wood stove for heat and propane lights
My point exactly, when asked to enforce this on owner occupied, I would pull out the generator option, or simply a lifestyle choice...........

The only time I went after it, was a landlord paid utilities, then I would post it, not the tenant's fault.

Down side, the tenant had to vacate

CT State law....

Sec. 29-265. (Formerly Sec. 19-400). Certificate of occupancy. (a) Except as provided in subsection (h) of section 29-252a, no building or structure erected or altered in any municipality after October 1, 1970, shall be occupied or used, in whole or in part, until a certificate of occupancy, as defined in the regulations adopted under section 29-252, has been issued by the building official, certifying that such building, structure or work performed pursuant to the building permit substantially conforms to the provisions of the State Building Code and the regulations lawfully adopted under said code. Nothing in the code or in this part shall require the removal, alteration or abandonment of, or prevent the continuance of the use and occupancy of, any single-family dwelling but within six years of the date of occupancy of such dwelling after substantial completion of construction of, alteration to or addition to such dwelling, or of a building lawfully existing on October 1, 1945, except as may be necessary for the safety of life or property. The use of a building or premises shall not be deemed to have changed because of a temporary vacancy or change of ownership or tenancy.

(b) No building official shall refuse to issue a certificate of occupancy for any single-family dwelling because such dwelling is not connected to an electric utility if such dwelling is otherwise in conformity with the requirements of this section and applicable local health codes and is equipped with an alternative energy system. A certificate issued under this section shall contain a statement that an alternative energy system is in place. For the purposes of this subsection, “alternative energy system” means any system or mechanism which uses solar radiation, wind, water, biomass or geothermal resources as the primary source for the generation of electrical energy.

Technically doesn't allow a traditional generator, but hey.....

Related concept: a neighbouring AJH has a fairly established population of Amish folks. Amish want houses.
The requirement is for the house to be constructed to the minimum standards of the national electrical code and national building code, which mandate plugs and lights.
Nothing says they have to be energized: just provided.

In my case, I'm off-grid. My sparky has to wire all sorts of 110-volt stuff, GFCI, etc. The lights are all 24-volt. The inverter will only be run part-time: meaning circuits won't be energized all the time.

Related concept: a neighbouring AJH has a fairly established population of Amish folks. Amish want houses.
The requirement is for the house to be constructed to the minimum standards of the national electrical code and national building code, which mandate plugs and lights.
Nothing says they have to be energized: just provided.

In my case, I'm off-grid. My sparky has to wire all sorts of 110-volt stuff, GFCI, etc. The lights are all 24-volt. The inverter will only be run part-time: meaning circuits won't be energized all the time.
This speaks to adaptability and builds on Fatboy's comments about lifestyle choice. Basically, these things are required to be installed to "future proof" the building in the event of a sale to a person with different lifestyle than the original owner/builder.

This speaks to adaptability and builds on Fatboy's comments about lifestyle choice. Basically, these things are required to be installed to "future proof" the building in the event of a sale to a person with different lifestyle than the original owner/builder.
And a related point of view: there's a duty of care owed by the AHJ to future occupants, as well as present.

Something I have to raise when clients say "Well, we don't have any disabled employees.... so we don't need a ramp."

And a related point of view: there's a duty of care owed by the AHJ to future occupants, as well as present.

Something I have to raise when clients say "Well, we don't have any disabled employees.... so we don't need a ramp."
When I pointed out that their plans lacked required accessibility features, the owner indicated "well, I just won't hire a handicapped person then". My response was...less than tactful. I basically asked them if other religious and ethnic minorities were going to be allowed to work there or are they discriminating against them too.

When I pointed out that their plans lacked required accessibility features, the owner indicated "well, I just won't hire a handicapped person then". My response was...less than tactful. I basically asked them if other religious and ethnic minorities were going to be allowed to work there or are they discriminating against them too.
I've used the line, "So, if an Afghanistan war vet with a rebuilt knee applies for a job, you'll can the resume?"

"Are you willing to put a sign up that says we don't serve cripples?" usually drives the point home that they are being discriminatory...