• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is there a Vent well requirement for Foundation Vents?

Inspector Gift

Sawhorse - Made in USA
Where are vent-wells required in the building codes?

This is a simple question about something that builders install and I inspect, but I can't find a code section to cite if the vent is located at or below ground level.

(The vent on the left should have a vent-well. The vent-well on the right is installed too low.)
VENTS-20220712_102749.jpg

They are certainly less than attractive. They appear to be inside out. I am not aware of a code that would require a well but there is an obvious need.

VENTS-20220712_102749 3.jpg

VENTS-20220712_102749 2.jpg

@ ~ @

IG, ...what Code Section(s) are you using when
inspecting ( RE: possibly the IRC, R408.1 &

R408.2 ) ?

@ ~ @

How about this?

R401.3 Drainage

Surface drainage shall be diverted to a storm sewer conveyance or other approved point of collection that does not create a hazard. Lots shall be graded to drain surface water away from foundation walls. The grade shall fall not fewer than 6 inches (152 mm) within the first 10 feet (3048 mm).

How about this?

R401.3 Drainage

Surface drainage shall be diverted to a storm sewer conveyance or other approved point of collection that does not create a hazard. Lots shall be graded to drain surface water away from foundation walls. The grade shall fall not fewer than 6 inches (152 mm) within the first 10 feet (3048 mm).
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I've been out of the office for a several days, and didn't get to read the responses until this morning. I will add your codes section to my WRITE-IT AND CITE-IT List
@ ~ @

IG, ...what Code Section(s) are you using when
inspecting ( RE: possibly the IRC, R408.1 &

R408.2 ) ?

@ ~ @
We currently use the 2021 ORSC (OREGON Residential Specialty Code) which is based upon the 2018 International Residential Code.