• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is this legal?

conarb

I could have sworn that there was something in the code requiring "smooth" transitions, but I looked and can't find it, maybe it's ADA? It does not appear to be 1½" off the wall, and the profile appears to be an older pre-graspability profile, but I am wondering why I am under the impression that transitions had to be "smooth"?

Originally Posted by 2010 CRC R311.7.7.2 Continuity. Handrails for stairways shall be continuous for the full length of the flight, from a point directly above the top riser of the flight to a point directly above the lowest riser of the flight. Handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals. Handrails adjacent to a wall shall have a space of not less than 11/2 inch (38 mm) between the wall and the handrails.
View attachment 1475

[/QUOTE]/monthly_2011_01/rail_smooth.jpg.361a969314bb50d9324782209f435152.jpg

Conarb,

Can't find "smooth"

If that's a landing (not in the picture but assumed) is'nt that the end of the flight of steps, and the rail would start again at the next flight? Just asking.

On a straight run with no flight stop (landing) it would have to be continous!

pc1

Looks like an inside handrail condition..., so it needs to be continuous. It is continuous, but just about the worst hatchet job I've seen. It very well may meet the code, though.

CA.......Maybe you have equated smooth with continous......the pic is continuos........but not smooth....

brudgers?

Mark,

I thought only one handrail was required on a set of steps and your post makes reference to the handrail being on the inside. Please direct me to that part of the code, I'am not aware of the inside or outside difference requirement.

Q. If I have a split entry home with an entry platform stairs going up from the platform and down would it be code to have handrails at the outer walls or be required at the center wall and be continuous as you stated "inside"

Pc,

You have a choice to put the rail on the inside condition or the outside condition. In this example the hand rail is located on the inside condition. I doubt the residential code makes mention of inside condition, but I'll do a quick check in the code and update this post.

Update:

Looking at the code, I was surprised that the IRC does not require any extension of any kind at the top and bottom risers, so it can stop and return to the wall directly above the riser (I only do a small amount of IRC work and have always provided 6" extensions - I guess I "over design"). This picture does not show what the stairs are doing below. If this is a landing condition (not any winder treads), technically the rail would not have to be continuous. It could stop at the top riser of one flight and start again at the bottom riser of the next flight.

IBC is a little more detailed and my inside-outside terminology comes from the last part of this section:

"1012.5 Handrail extensions. Handrails shall return to a wall,

guard or thewalking surface or shall be continuous to the handrail

of an adjacent stair flight or ramp run."

The reference to inside handrail can be found in ANSI and is not applicable to SFR:

505.3 Continuity. Handrails shall be continuous

within the full length of each stair flight or ramp run.

Inside handrails on switchback or dogleg stairs or

ramps shall be continuous between flights or runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
CALIFORNIA

Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders

Group 1. General Physical Conditions and Structures Orders

Article 2. Standard Specifications

d) A handrail shall consist of a lengthwise member mounted directly on a wall or partition by means of brackets attached to the lower side of the handrail so as to offer no obstruction to a smooth surface along the top and both sides of the handrail. The handrail shall be designed to provide a grasping surface to avoid the person using it from falling. The spacing of brackets shall not exceed 8 feet.

MarkRandall, Thanks for working with me on this, I have a very large residential subdivision on the horizon and a bit rusty on the residential requirements.

Conarb, I guess it's a California thing according to the handler!

brudgers, is that your dog or the neighbors?

1997 UBC Section 1003.3.3.6

The handgrip portion of handrails shall not be less than 11/4 inches (32 mm) nor more than 2 inches (51 mm) in cross­sectional dimension or the shape shall provide an equivalent grip­ping surface. The handgrip portion of handrails shall have a smooth surface with no sharp corners. Handrails projecting from a wall shall have a space of not less than 11/2 inches (38 mm) between the wall and the handrail.

conarb said:
Mark:To what occupancies (or structures) does "Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders" apply?
Only where The Division of Occupational Safety and Health, better known as Cal/OSHA, protects workers and the public from safety hazards through its Occupational Safety and Health.

Thanks Mark, that answers my question, even in a residence where the rails go in at the end of a job there are still workers present, and I guess CalOSHA protects domestic help working within a home after it's built, as well as tradesmen doing remodeling/repair work after it's built.

conarb said:
I could have sworn that there was something in the code requiring "smooth" transitions, but I looked and can't find it, maybe it's ADA? It does not appear to be 1½" off the wall, and the profile appears to be an older pre-graspability profile, but I am wondering why I am under the impression that transitions had to be "smooth"?

A photo of the entire area would be helpful… It appears that since the stair is changing direction; there may be a landing. IF there is a landing there is NO need to have “continuous” rail from 1 stair “flight” to the next “flight”.

As far as the word “smooth” is concerned, the rail isn’t interrupted by anything; such as a newel post… I don’t believe the definition of smooth is intended to be in the artistic sense (a smooth line).

I have always had an issue with this part of the IRC. The wording does state "continuous" which would require the situation seen in the picture - It is awkward, difficult to fabricate, and defies common sense. Had the carpenter put the railing on the opposite side they could have had the railing interrupted by the landing (according to the IRC), but there could be windows in the way, or another obstruction not seen in the picture prohibiting them from doing so. Back when I was carpenter I had a similar situation where there was only one side of the stairway where the railing could be placed and it was interrupted by a jog in the wall - the final railing looked horrible and was awkward to use, but it met code. Now I try to catch guys in the framing process so we can avoid railings like the one in the picture. It's not pretty, but that railing would meet code around here.

"continuous for the full length of the flight" only, , can't see the rest but this is either a landing, which would break up two flights in which case this pretzel could be untwisted, , , or a winder in which case, , , there is no hope.

Yankee, thats how I enforce it, if theres a break (landing) then a new stair set starts, with another handrail.

Yankee said:
"continuous for the full length of the flight" only, , can't see the rest but this is either a landing, which would break up two flights in which case this pretzel could be untwisted, , , or a winder in which case, , , there is no hope.
Technically, It can be done with or without winders; just not as a cost effective solution.

90wreathlarge.jpg