• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ISO/BCEGS/Verisk Review Impact

KLSRC

Hi Everyone. I'll start by saying I've done some poking around in the old threads for this topic. I know it's been discussed before - looks like mostly back in 2010 and a little more recently. I would like to revisit the topic, not to beat a dead horse, but to ask a couple more pointed questions to see if anyone has specific feedback or experience...

1. In reviewing past comments, it seems that many feel that the ISO rating for a fire department DOES carry weight and can impact a community, while the ISO rating for a building department DOES NOT carry weight and has little or no impact. I read comments stating that insurance companies seem to be unaware of the building department review existing. Does anyone have any data or experience to support or refute this?

2. Several comments claim that the review score only impacts structures built after the score is rendered. Logically, I would expect that a new insurance policy would review the current ISO score regardless of when the structure was built. Again, does anyone have any additional thoughts or data that could help with this?

3. Several comments point out that insurance companies must electively use the ISO scores for them to matter. Is anyone aware of any specific insurance companies that have claimed to use or not use these scores? I cannot find any published report from ISO to showcase the companies that use their data, which I would expect could benefit them if they were being widely used.

I am trying to help our municipality make an informed decision about this process and am well aware that from a management and elected official perspective, this score can seem mighty important because ISO is very good at self-advocating. Thanks for indulging me putting life back into this discussion!

I just went through it again a couple of months ago. Don't have the results yet. Since I have done over 100 insurance inspection all over western Montana and none of the insurance reports asked for the building department ISO rating and only a handful asked about the FD ISO rating. She said it is all available online for the insurance industry use. https://help.wsrb.com/how-do-i-find-bcegs-address The ISO rating that is assigned to the building is the rating that was in effect at the time it was built.

Here is a link that may help your community decision to participate or not.

My bosses and upper city management always pushed me to do it. I personally think it is a waste of time for the Building Department.

I once received a call from an apartment complex owner and he was beside himself, couldn't figure out why his insurance went up over 40%. He called me and wanted to know if I knew why? After asking several questions, we determined that the ISO used the wrong information, they had the city name right but used the wrong state.

Might want to check that, if you live in Springfield?

I think the FD ISO rating's get more attention, a new fire truck and firefighters completing training probably gets you an improved score. If your FD receives a super-duper score, like a ONE, it can find it's way to the local paper and if you have a crappy score like a NINE you might be on your way to get a new pumper or new Fire Chief! It will most likely take the water utility to get your hydrant flows up and new hydrants installed, the utility will not get any love for that I know, I know how this works!

Who has the biggest budget FD or BD?