• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ISO review

jim baird

Silver Member
My post a few years back drew some colorful replies.

This could be just a show of hands but comments are sought.

How many here are dealing with ISO review of Building Codes Effectiveness Grading Schedule?

My contacts with these people have consumed considerable time and have yielded little fruit.

Re: ISO review

The previous BO spent a lot of time a few years back on the ISO request. The only fruit from this is the Fire Department has "educated" the council on the "importance" of having a low ISO rating for the community so it helped to ***** our education travel budget. ;)

Thanks MT,

Fire Departments here are a fiefdom in themselves, and do not communicate much with building codes people, as funny as that sounds. They have their own relationship with ISO anyway.

I completed the request early this summer, and got a fine looking report back. The grading system is flawed in many areas. One is Sec 105 "Adopted Building Codes" - because NYS codes are adopted a the state level, so they scored us lower. There are other examples.

ISO gathers free information from local governments. Then they repackage it and sell it to the insurance industry.

But it is a great looking report!

I do private inspections for multiple insurance companies on private and commercial properties and not one form has ever asked for the ISO rating of a building department. FD's yes but not building departments.

Ditto to Kearney, I got stuck with it shortly after taking over as CBO almost five years ago. Spent a LOT of time compiling info, the interview.......when I got the results, I questioned a few of the results, and pretty much was blown off. I have not ever been asked what our score was, have never seen it used as a comparative device for a building department. So, when they come calling again........thanks, but no thanks.