• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Issues with typical cheapskate investor

MarcusGeiser

Bronze Member
I am buying a house rent to own. The property was to be renovated upon our moving in. We had a date set to move in and it came and went this left me in a bad position. I had to move so when told it was complete we moved in. This was almost a year ago.

Being a contractor I understand that some things may need completed later and am ok with not all projects being permited. However Electrical is not something I want a toothless junkie doing.

If you guys could help with code section I have the book I can look them up. Here are my concerns:

1. There was no permit for the electrical work done in kitchen and laundry area.

2. I can see daylight into my garage where my car should be through the cold air return. How would I pull in there and pump CO into my dinning room?

3. The first step from the ground up the stairs is a cliff, my elderly aunt who lives with us has a real problem negotiating it.

4. Dont know if this is a code issue but the hot water tank leaks constantly and runs across the basement floor which is supposed to be our laundry area.

5. The 1st bath has no vent but the window to the enclosed porch.

6. The 2nd bath has no vent an open rafters in basement.

7. The windows are out of the track which is broke. This allowed the 24" x 48" window to fall out land on my 6 year olds heads then fall to the floor and break. This is what set me off. The solution was to replace the glass and leave in driveway for me to fix, of course at no cost to the landlord. AND for the privelidge of doing the work fior free I was allowed eat the cost of any materials.

Sorry for the length of the post be I am at wits end and want the house as promised, my money back or to be compensated for my time and materials. I know you guys can help me.

Although some might argue the point, I don't think anybody here, performs miracles. It might be a good idea to keep the junkie busy with things other than the electrical.

Hope that helps.

Tiger

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not have moved in with any deffiencies that I was not prepare to live and deal with on my own. Buyer beware. JMHO

We can't help. The vent issue on the bath rooms and window issue should be send in a complaint form to your local AHJ. Hopefully, you have a contract! I would also recommend a complaint to the PA Attorney Generals office. They are suppose to police these things.

"...The property was to be renovated upon our moving in..."

Red flag went up on my mental landscape reading this. The time for renovating is before anyone moves in. It is not rocket science but common sense to know that any kind of work like this is more easly and more cheaply done when building is unoccupied.

Sounds like, if you have a lease, there are ample grounds to break it and find greener grass in another pasture.

MarcusGeiser said:
2. I can see daylight into my garage where my car should be through the cold air return. How would I pull in there and pump CO into my dinning room?
I've found that backing in works best. Saves money on flexible gutter extensions at Home Depot. FWIW, CPVC transitions work best from the gutter extensions to the tailpipe, and 1-1/2" duct tape is best for sealing at the transfer duct.

Seriously, M1602, 2006 IRC should help you with return air issues. Your arrangement violates several prohibitions in that section as well as others.

i'd go find out if any of the work was permitted. is the contractor licensed? do you have recourse throught a licensing devision? stop paying for s#@t work! i'd fire the guy doing the work, if you are indeed a contractor, take the bull by the horns, and get a handle on it. i'm assuming the local jurisdiction requires work to be permitted, so theres step one. daylight to garage, NO, there is suppoed to be a minimum 1/2 inch gyp on the garage side of the separation, no other openings othere than a 1- 3/8 " solid door into the residence. see IRC 2006 section 309 in its entirety. you'll see what it needs. stairs, 7-3/4 inch max riser, 10" minimum tread section R311.5.3, hot water tank, chapter 28 IRC, hire a code consultant and a good attorney

Talk to the building department/housing authority. If you're still currently renting, you probably have a little more leverage to get things fixed.