• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

JLC LIVE New England Code Classes

Glenn

I'll be at JLC Live in New England teaching code classes primarily to contractors and designers on March 20 and 21st. Minimum Code for Budget Decks and Top Ten IRC Code Violations.

"The worst you can build and still be legal" Ever heard building codes negatively described this way? What about a car? Is it shameful to buy the cheapest BRAND NEW car that "just meets minimum federal automobile standards?" It would be a safety and lifestyle upgrade to the 2001 I drive now. I don't subscribe to "built to code is shameful", because I'm not wealthy. I'm not an elitist. I don't think I'm too good for brand new construction. I challenge you to consider a new way to look at modern building codes. They aren't "best practices", and that's wonderful, they aren't supposed to be. They establish an entry-level, level playing field for equal opportunity. I'm teaching a unique class at JLC Live New England that flips the derogatory label of "minimum code" in deck construction. "Minimum Code for Budget Decks", is not a class just for hacks. I'm all for deck safety, but do you know what the safest deck is? No deck at all. I won't ever support that kind of safety. Code is a balance between safety and affordability. If every new car was a Tesla, most of us would be walking.

https://explorene.jlclive.com/…/Sched…/SessionDetails/262336