• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Job security

Inspector Gadget

Co-worker found this.
Canadian codes only permit one set of winders on a flight, turning 90 degrees at max.

Attachments

• 716383705.jpg
    716383705.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 24
Vertical service space. Builder thought he could, you know, just end the fire-rated drywall at the T-bar ceiling rather than going all the way to the underside of the concrete floor deck.

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_152308.jpg
    IMG_20230914_152308.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
I cannot speak to the process in other jurisdictions on to what the code requires. Here is the code verse that requires X, if you can provide me with an code verse that allows the installation as you say provide it to me for review.

One of my favorite conversations was dealing with a smaller time builder and he didn't understand what I meant when I was talking about winders.

Me: Hi Rob, you can only have a single 90 degree turn with winders. You have a double set turning 180 degrees.
Rob: Well, the designer said that these plans were already accepted by another jurisdiction, so why is it OK for them, but not for you.
Me: I'm not sure Rob, but I can give you the code section if you want.
Rob: No, that's fine. If you are saying it's in the code, it must be in there. By the way, what is a winder?
Me: You know how the steps turn as they go down in your house right now? That is a winder. The designer put a second set in the design here though, so if someone were to fall at the stop step, you are falling like 3'.
Rob: Oh, that's what a winder is. I hate them. I will talk to the designer and get them to redesign the stairs to remove all the winders. I don't want them in my houses at all.

Renovations being undertaken on a 1996-era building.

What you're looking at supports a nine-inch-wide steel beam.

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_143817_927.jpg
    IMG_20240212_143817_927.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 30
Renovations being undertaken on a 1996-era building.

What you're looking at supports a nine-inch-wide steel beam.
Held it for 30 years....Field tested!

R104.11.1 Tests

Where there is insufficient evidence of compliance with the provisions of this code, or evidence that a material or method does not conform to the requirements of this code, or in order to substantiate claims for alternative materials or methods, the building official shall have the authority to require tests as evidence of compliance to be made at no expense to the jurisdiction. Test methods shall be as specified in this code or by other recognized test standards. In the absence of recognized and accepted test methods, the building official shall approve the testing procedures. Tests shall be performed by an approved agency. Reports of such tests shall be retained by the building official for the period required for retention of public records.