• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Joints and Connections in Slab

Rider Rick

Silver Member
New SFR water supply line tee fitting in concrete slury fill mix under slab.

Line has 100 lbs. pressure test.

Good to go? OK to pour?

Thank you,

Rick

Re: Joints and Connections in Slab

If it's new, then the line needs to be replaced. No joints/fittings under the slab.

P2904.15 Underground joints. Joints in polybutylene (PB)

plastic pipe or tubing underground or under a concrete floor

slab shall be installed using heat fusion, in accordance with the

manufacturer’s installation instructions. Joints in copper pipe

or tube installed in a concrete floor slab or under a concrete

floor slab on grade shall be installed using wrought-copper fittings

and brazed joints.

Well I guess I stand corrected.

If they use one of the methods listed, it would be okay.

I know on repairs, in slab, we always require silver solder...."brazed"!

So IF the fitting used are rated for under the slab AND they use one of the methods listed it would be okay.

You know........after thinking a little more about it.....how in the heck would you get CPVC to turn up if you didn't allow fitiings under the slab????

That's the bad thing about "firing from the hip" without thinking!!

The tee thing is what threw me! I just can't see installing a bunch of fittings under the slab! The more fittings under a slab the more chance for a leak..........but.........the code says okay as long as...........

wrought-copper fittings shall be used?????

What type of material is being used under the slab in your situation?????

OP did not say what material...

P2904.5.1 Under concrete slabs.

Inaccessible water distribution piping under slabs shall be copper water tube minimum Type M, brass, ductile iron pressure pipe, cross-linked polyethylene/aluminum/cross-linked polyethylene (PEX- AL-PEX) pressure pipe, polyethylene/aluminum/polyethylene (PE-AL-PE) pressure pipe, chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC), polybutylene (PB), cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) plastic pipe or tubing or polypropylene (PP) pipe or tubing, all to be installed with approved fittings or bends. The minimum pressure rating for plastic pipe or tubing installed under slabs shall be 100 pounds per square inch at 180°F (689 kPa at 82°C).

P2904.9.1.2 CPVC plastic pipe.

Joint surfaces shall be clean and free from moisture and an approved primer shall be applied. Solvent cement for CPVC plastic pipe, orange in color and conforming to ASTM F 493, shall be applied to all joint surfaces. The parts shall be joined while the cement is wet and in accordance with ASTM D 2846 or ASTM F 493. Solvent-cement joints shall be permitted above or below ground.

Most of the water services here are copper tubing with no joints under the slab...

Not sure what type of Pex white in color.

Thank you,

Rick

Yes, Washington State is under the UPC but I don't like the idea of a fitting under the slab.

I told the owner that I always used one length of pipe why risk a leak. But he went with the connection under the slab any how.

I thought if I put it on the BB it might lead me to a code I could use to be able to write a correction next time.

Rick

If it's a pex fitting (copper) would'nt it have to be protected from the concrete?

Yes, it is a copper tee wrapped with form pipe insulation.

Rick

You know........after thinking a little more about it.....how in the heck would you get CPVC to turn up if you didn't allow fitiings under the slab????
CPVC comes in Rolls like copper when installed in slab it is installed the same way :geek:

Really.........I've never seen a roll of CPVC. It's all hard pipe and comes in sticks.

$109.00 Sold in multiples of 100 / $1.09 linear foot In Stock - Estimate Delivery Date

High-temperature domestic water supply used in hot and cold water pressure applications, from water main to fixtures. For hot water distribution systems with continuous operating pup to 100 PSI at 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Sizing equals copper pipe size. This CPVC Tubing is one of many top quality items in our CPVC Unions & Couplings department.

Aubuchon Item # 800178
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-33 ... 00178.aspx

Added note: had to search CPVC coils to locate it

Sizing equals copper pipe size. This CPVC Tubing is one of many top quality items in our CPVC Unions & Couplings department.

I have found that CPVC and copper ID's are NOT the equal.

Rick