• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Joists over drilled!

RJJ

Co-Founder
Here is a small addition that had to have a complete second set of joists added!

Dumb Plumber drilled and cut this structure from one end to the other. The insde was even more of a mistake.

IMG_0860.jpg

Re: Joists over drilled!

The first set of joists would not accomodate R30 insulation.

No it would never have made the r30 with out a bunch of foam. Now with two sets of floor joists they can meet both structural and energy.

yeah.. maybe.. guess I'd need to see the whole thing..

not very pretty

My mistake. I thought RJJ was showing us a ceiling joist/rafter that had to be replicated because the plumber got a little carried away. I can be a Lucy now and then. A floor needs no insulation if it is over conditioned space.

Kinda hard to tell from the angle, but it doesn't look like the new joist line up under the drilled ones - how are the new members carrying the load from the over drilled ones above?

how are the new members carrying the load from the over drilled ones above?
Thats why the pipe was installed in that location; ;)

Whoo Hoo! Kilitact is here. Welcome to the new forum.

I haven't read this thread enough to make much comment. I'll come back later for a more on-topic response.

Hey Rick, I figured you would be all over this contraption ;)

kilitact said:
Hey Rick, I figured you would be all over this contraption ;)
Heh, yep, it's a contraption. I'm trying to study the picture to figure out IF there is a positive word to say about it.

:lol:

The only thing I can say is, TEAR the whole thing down and start over. I can't imagine how this thing will be really safe under an earthquake. Not a true "sistering". I see that this will likely begin to fall apart under seismic load. Not too sure of the fastening.

This is my opinion on a cursory look at the photo.

Maybe I'm not seeing the problem with my aged eyes, I don't know if the joists are over-spanned, but I don't see the over-drilling, the last I heard they were allowed 3/16" oversized holes, in the second joist from the camera the coupling actually appears tight in the hole. Other than the drilling issue the addition of furring joists over the actual joists imposes more floor loading, requiring engineering.

Can't really tell from the photo, so I have to assume that the diameter of the holes are more than one third the depth of the joist.

Yes! Every joist was more the 1/3 ! The second joist under the original are side nailed and each has a joist hanger on a new ledger. DP sealed the fix! Sorry for the poor photo. I always take a picture on problems. The inside was cut up in every direction one could imagine. I had deleted those from the file.

In the future I will take better ones!

A photo pre-fix would have been easier...keep them coming!

May not be pretty or typical but I am not surprised that a dp signed off. Actually looks like it should work.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I doubt that the "side nailng" pattern is sufficient to have the joist pairs "act as one" in a truly sistered manner.