• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Just a humble opinion

Architect1281

Gold Member
As my Home and Work State of RI confusion was the first to officially integrate the IGGC into its group of code selections; I recently attended a training seminar "ALL DAY": to review it's wonderous impact and procedures.

In RI state and municipal structures using State or Municipal miney must select a GREEN Method , LEED GLOBES, ICC or whatever is deemed equivalent. 5000 sf new; 10000 sf renovation.

My observation half way through was that IF the Legislators who were sold this POS concept had been made to sit through the training the legislation never would have seen the light of day.......

I recommend that any one else considering the implementation of any such concept strap in the governing body pin their eyes open and force feed the pablum.

We're stuck with the same thing in Virginia, thanks to executive orders by our previous and current governors.

IgCC may not apply depending on the size/occupancy type of the structure.. HOWEVER, it will be cheaper than trying to go with a different alternative (since the building offical makes the decision, not a different agency.. like USGBC).

The IgCC has several project options.

Having said that, building owners are familiar with LEED and the public puts trust in that pretty glass emblem in the lobby.

It's all a paperwork exercise.

I am truly convinced that the Green MOvement documentaion fiasco was developed by DRP's who had trouble designing and Contractors who had trouble building when they were met by a marketing agent who was a frustrated accountant!

None of the "green methods" are very green (if you've ever seen the amount of paper generated).