• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Just for Fun

Read the Code

OK, code gurus out there. Here's a good one just to make you think (any maybe laugh a little). Feel free to reply if you feel inclined, although I'm not really looking for any advice, more of a pondering question.

How, exactly, should one apply Chapter 10 to a mausoleum? Yup, first time I've been asked to permit one! Occupancy load is calculated by "persons" what if their already dead? :)

& * & * &

Is the mausoleum "fully enclosed", "partially enclosed" or "fully open" ?
Does the mausoleum have walls, restrooms, assembly areas, etc. ?

& * & * &

Assembly without fixed seats.

I've never been in one, but people need to carry the deceased in and I bet there may be mourners in there as well.

& * & * &

I agree with the Assembly Occ. Group designation.
I might be inclined to assign the Occ. Group loading to something
akin to a museum.

& * & * &

I failed to think of lager spaces categorized as such, the application to me is a 9x10 structure (2 "bunks" and a small bench)

I am currently working on Occupant loads, so that's where my mind was and I totally forgot about the rest of Ch. 10 requirements.

I found it a unique application, and honestly, one that requires us to think of the "intent" of the code. I am actually going with "accessory structure >120 sf"

& * & * &

** Read the Code **, ...what is the actual sq. footage amount of floor space
that visitors can walk around on ?

& * & * &

OK, code gurus out there. Here's a good one just to make you think (any maybe laugh a little). Feel free to reply if you feel inclined, although I'm not really looking for any advice, more of a pondering question.

How, exactly, should one apply Chapter 10 to a mausoleum? Yup, first time I've been asked to permit one! Occupancy load is calculated by "persons" what if their already dead? :)
NO different than a place of worship; Assembly occupancy.

& * & * &

Does the mausoleum have Accessibility features installed ( e.g. - ramp ) ?

The bench appears to accommodate 2 occupants, plus floor space to
accommodate 4 - 5 occupants.

& * & * &

Accessory structure <200sqft...no permit....
Do you amend IBC Section 105.2? IRC may be at 200sf, but IBC is 120sf and limits the use.

2021 IBC [A] 105.2 Work Exempt From Permit

Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:
  1. Building:
    1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the floor area is not greater than 120 square feet (11 m2).
    2. Continues....

Do you amend IBC Section 105.2? IRC may be at 200sf, but IBC is 120sf and limits the use.

2021 IBC [A] 105.2 Work Exempt From Permit

Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:
  1. Building:
    1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the floor area is not greater than 120 square feet (11 m2).
    2. Continues....
Yes...yes we do....

Building:
1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar
uses, provided the floor area is not greater than 200 square feet (18.58 m²).