• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

K-12 Fieldhouse Occupancy Classification

RJMCGUIRE

I am about to start on a K-12 Fieldhouse for a school that has existing buildings; which are all probably Group E.

I'm using the 09 IBC and would think that this fieldhouse could either be A-3 or E.

anythoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,

RM

RJMCGUIRE,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum!

If I may, ..can you please provide some more basic information, such as:

Can you clarify what you mean by "Field House", ..what is the calculated

occ. load, ..net square footage, etc. Thanks!

Welcome from a fellow dfwer

How did you find us

How many sq ft

Is it stand alone or attached to another building

Field House or Fieldhouse is a common name for indoor sports arenas and stadiums, mostly used for basketball, volleyball, or ice hockey.

A-4 Assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting events and activities

This building will be a detached new building for the school that will house the Girl's and Boy's Locker rooms, a classroom for athletics, coach's offices, training room (i.e. weights and strength training), laundry, and sports equipment storage; plus non-assignable areas like coach's restrooms and lockers, fire riser rm, janitorial and misc. storage.

I was thinking that A-3 or E would be the appropriate occupancy; as there will be no sports viewing activities taking place as in an A-4 occupancy.

the building is programed to be a maximum of 9,595 sq.ft. - 1 story.

i haven't gotten far enough to run occupancy calcs. i would need to get into the program and define each space in order to do so.... i would think.

CDA

i'm a project manager in fort worth and found this forum by searching for an answer to an accessibility question i had. and i'm very glad i found this forum. its a very good source.

Welocome to the Forum RJMCGUIRE!

I would be leaning towards A-3 if there is no viewing........seems to be a good fit.

Here is what we have in CT.......but the others have you on the right track where they say A3 with no spectators....

CHAPTER 3 – USE AND OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATION

(Amd) 302.2.1 Assembly areas. Accessory assembly areas are not considered separate occupancies if the floor area is equal to or less than 750 square feet. Assembly areas used solely for purposes that are accessory to Group E occupancies are not considered separate occupancies. Accessory religious educational rooms and religious auditoriums with occupant loads of less than 100 are not considered separate occupancies.

Exception: Special amusement buildings as defined in Section 411.2 of this code.

Thanks Everyone.

After breaking down the spaces; this is what chapter 10 is telling me. let me know what you think.

Sq.Ft. Occupancy

Coaches Offices 600 Business 6

Weight Room 1250 Exercise - 50 sq.ft. gross 25

Classroom 1000 Educational - 20 net 50

Girl's Lockers 1600 Lockers- 50 sq.ft. gross 32

Training Room / Laundry 500 Exercise - 50 sq.ft. gross 10

Storage 900 Accessory - 300 gross 3

Boy's Lockers 1600 Lockers- 50 sq.ft. gross 32

Concession 200

Total Net 7650 Total Occupancy 158 (preliminary)

Unassignable Areas

Vestibule 115

Storage 1 64

Coaches R.R. 1 64

Coaches R.R. 2 64

Fire Riser Rm 64

Electrical 96

Janitorial 64

Outdoor R.R. 1 64

Outdoor R.R. 2 64

Total Unassignable 659

Covered Walkway 1 520

Covered Walkway 2 425

Total Non-A/C 945

Total Area Under Roof 9254

If this is the right track. then i'm looking at either nonseparated occupancies or separated occupancies.

303.1.3 Associated with Group E occupancies.

A room or space used for assembly purposes that is associated with a Group E occupancy is not considered a separate occupancy.