• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Key Reasons for Plan Rejection in Building Projects

What are common causes for rejecting submitted plans in your experience?

• Inadequate egress design

• Non-compliance with fire safety standards

• Insufficient structural details

• Energy efficiency non-compliance

• Incomplete or unclear drawings

• Non-compliance with accessibility standards

• Inadequate mechanical, electrical, or plumbing (MEP) details

• Non-compliance with specific material or construction standards

Results are only viewable after voting.

jar546

Forum Coordinator
**You Have To Vote To See Results**

This poll seeks to uncover the predominant reasons behind the rejection of building plans, as experienced by plans examiners. It delves into a variety of technical and compliance-related issues that commonly arise during the plan review process. Options such as egress design, fire safety, structural integrity, energy efficiency, drawing clarity, accessibility, and MEP details are included to cover a broad spectrum of potential issues.

The added option, non-compliance with specific material or construction standards, addresses the often overlooked but critical aspect of material specifications and construction methodologies that align with current codes and industry practices. By identifying these common rejection causes, we aim to enhance the understanding and efficiency of the plan review process, ultimately facilitating smoother project progress and compliance adherence.

Your contributions are invaluable in highlighting key areas where designers and engineers may need additional focus or resources, helping to reduce plan rejections and drive successful project completions.

Apparently, we can only vote for three. I want to check all but the last choice, and if I look at it an hour from now I might decide to check that one, as well. Can you edit the poll to add an "All of the above" option?

Quite frankly, the quality of construction documents we see is appalling. We have had modest size projects go through six revisions and resubmittals, and even then we were only able to issue a permit by red-lining the plans. If I were the design professional on some of those projects, I would be kneeling in front of the client and begging forgiveness. But apparently designers today have no shame -- they bill their clients for the revisions and complain that the building department is picking on them.

Many times I have wanted to turn these clowns in to the licensing boards, but the town administration won't let us do that.

Apparently, we can only vote for three. I want to check all but the last choice, and if I look at it an hour from now I might decide to check that one, as well. Can you edit the poll to add an "All of the above" option?

Quite frankly, the quality of construction documents we see is appalling. We have had modest size projects go through six revisions and resubmittals, and even then we were only able to issue a permit by red-lining the plans. If I were the design professional on some of those projects, I would be kneeling in front of the client and begging forgiveness. But apparently designers today have no shame -- they bill their clients for the revisions and complain that the building department is picking on them.

Many times I have wanted to turn these clowns in to the licensing boards, but the town administration won't let us do that.
I don’t understand the point of that. If everyone does that, then the pole is completely useless. You should pick the one that has the most weight to the answer. I do not agree.

The most weight? What if we encounter all of those issues on virtually all of our plan reviews?

Hint: We do. It's impossible to "weigh" the rate of incidence when they are all daily phenomena.

The most weight? What if we encounter all of those issues on virtually all of our plan reviews?

Hint: We do. It's impossible to "weigh" the rate of incidence when they are all daily phenomena.
I don't agree. I know that egress issues are rare in my area so that eliminates that. Fire-Safey standards are another one that are usually well designed. So i can check that one off my list. Energy efficiency is normally not a problem because we get calculations that we review for consistency with the build so we don't normally have an issue.

Again, I see your point but this is a poll. If everyone answered "all of the above" then what the hell is the point of the poll? In general, we know where the problems are for those of us that do this every single day.

I don’t understand the point of that. If everyone does that, then the pole is completely useless. You should pick the one that has the most weight to the answer. I do not agree.
Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I encounter all of those issues -- and more -- on just about every commercial plan review I perform. How am I supposed to pick the ONE most egregious issue when all them occur with depressing regularity. I don't agree that an option for "All of the above" would make the poll invalid. If everyone -- or a significant portion of us -- chose "All of the above" I think that would be a very revealing statistic. It would be confirmation that design professionals in general don't have a clue about code compliance.

Again, I see your point but this is a poll. If everyone answered "all of the above" then what the hell is the point of the poll? In general, we know where the problems are for those of us that do this every single day.
Then why run the poll at all?

I encounter most of the listed issues. In vague order:
Incomplete plans
Insufficient structural details
Insufficient energy efficiency details
Fire safety foul-ups

Quite frankly, the quality of construction documents we see is appalling. We have had modest size projects go through six revisions and resubmittals, and even then we were only able to issue a permit by red-lining the plans.
Couldn't agree more.